• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Hypo mineralization of molar in child

• Thread starter Monarchandthemilkweed
  • Start date
M

Monarchandthemilkweed

My almost 8 year old has a molar with hypo mineralization. The dentist said it was not his fault. It has nothing to do with not brushing well or eating bad foods.

He’s scheduled to go in next week and have them work on it. It’s discolored but no obvious holes.

How will they fix this? My husband was the one who took him and talked to the dentist not me. I think my husband said either scrape and seal it or fill it like a cavity.

I’m worried because he’s never had any dental work done before and this is a family dentist not a pediatric dentist.

Depends on the scale of the issue. Bonding in some composite if it's not too bad or removing some of the damaged enamel and then bonding in the composite if it's worse. Really hard to say without looking at it.
Perfectly within the capability of any general dentist, in fact might be better for your child since it's somebody they're presumably familiar with already.

Thank you. So would they have to use the drill to remove some of the tooth?

Hi Monarch and the milkweed,

It really is hard to trust our kids to get their dental work done when we deal with anxiety. I know it is for me. I totally agree with Gordon if you son is used to your regular family dentist and he/she is good with him that is often the best option. I know if was for us. The more famiiar the more at ease and smoother it can go sometimes.

Really hope all goes well!

So would they have to use the drill to remove some of the tooth?
Maybe, maybe not. Can't say without looking. Even if they do, most probably wouldn't need any local, you'd want to just scrape away some of the poorly formed enamel, which has no nerve endings in it, similar sensation to filing your nails. Unless the area of hypomineralisation is really bad but that sounds unlikely.

Oh ok. This helps me. Thank you.

Just wanted to update in case anyone else comes across this thread. My son did great with our family dentist. No shots needed. My husband said a little bit of drilling. Then cement said my husband. My son did fantastic. Not nervous or anxious. He had no pain just like Gordon said. So relieved.

:jump: :cheer2: :welldone: Monarchandthemilkweed. That is so awesome!So glad your son did great ! Good to hear. I get more worked up when I bring my son than myself. as I know how to deal with it more and don't want him to.. its always a relief when they have a happy experience!

That's good news, thank you for letting me know.

Back