• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I am at the end of the line with these broken molars

  • Thread starter Thread starter Former member 38963
  • Start date Start date
F

Former member 38963

Former Member
Ten years ago, I cracked a molar and the dentist told me I had to have it removed. I had just given birth, and I almost died under anesthesia. My blood pressure dropped and I felt myself fading. They had to inject my iv line with something to revive me. As a result, I am terrified of going under any kind of anesthesia again, other than local. The molar experienced a strange phenomenon. It was like what happened with my baby teeth. There was some bleeding and then half of it fell out. This is the molar that is on top and is actually the first one next to the incisor. And I lived my life with that molar as an incisor. During that time, another moler of mine had an old filling come out. Those gray ones. And then the tooth cracked. This is the bottom one that is next to my last molar. Not the wisdom tooth. I had those removed some years ago (and not afraid of anesthesia yet). And so, have been living with that slowly coming apart. Over the weekend, I bit into something to try to open it (I know, I am a dummy), and the half of the incisor came out. So I have two teeth whose roots over the years have been slowly coming out and now the tooth part is basically gone. I have been told numerous times but different dentists that I have to have them removed because of infection, etc. I get it. My issue is, I don't mind going around with huge gaps when I smile. But I don't want to have anesthesia for what to do after the roots are removed by extraction. I am pretty sure they can do local for the root removal/tooth extraction, but after that, I am told bone goes bad and your mouth gets messed up and I will need an implant or a root canal or something that will then require anesthesia. And I am pretty chicken when comes to pain and of course terrified of dying in that chair. My teeth don't really hurt at all. Not sure if that is good or really bad. Ideally, I just want the roots and the teeth to hang out until they are ready to go on their own to avoid all of this. :( TIA!!!

[photos removed to protect OP’s identity]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure they can do local for the root removal/tooth extraction, but after that, I am told bone goes bad and your mouth gets messed up and I will need an implant or a root canal or something that will then require anesthesia.
No it doesn't.
Nothing in dentistry absolutely NEEDS an anaesthetic, local is fine for any dental treatment (some folks might PREFER to be knocked out, but it's never absolutely necessary for anything).
 
Back
Top