S
starshadow193
Junior member
- Joined
- Oct 24, 2012
- Messages
- 2
so here is my success story. I'm sitting here writing this just after having a cleaning at the dentist.. here's my story..
I'm 23 years old, from a very poor background, dental appointments were kept up until I hit 14, and did the childhood thing of not wanting to go. My parents allowed this to happen, they are great parents, I just wish they'd of made me. When I got to 16 I had to pay for dental treatment, I noticed no problems so didn't bother. When I got to 19 I noticed a little bleeding, but I couldn't afford to go to the dentist.
My dad eventually suffered from a bad health problem to the point where I was helping to support my parents so dental treatment was low on my list. I noticed plaque and tartar build up in some parts of my mouth but was left in a position where I couldn't do anything.
Then, at 23 I decided to prioritise my dental treatment. I found a lovely dentist who realised my fear as I was shaking (probably due to not going in 8-9 years). She talked me through why we need to do this and that and recommended I go back for a deep clean.
During the deep clean today, I can say it was quite uncomfortable. She said if it gets too bad she will provide me pain relief, but it never got to the point of that. There was a bit of bleeding, and my gums were sore after (this has gone thanks to pain relief).. and tbh, even though my gums are looking a bit red at the moment, I notice the difference already. She said my teeth are great and recommended flossing/brushing twice a day/ mouthwash.
I've come off very lightly, anything I found out about mouth/gums I researched on the internet, my school or anyone else never really taught it me.
Just face your fear guys, I lurked on this website for months before I first got up the courage to go. In my head I just thought it will get worse, and I need to do it. I registered an account to thank all the people that contribute on these boards. I never signed up before or posted but it was so helpful to read through people's stories.
My experience has taught me to keep going to the dentist for check ups.
I'm 23 years old, from a very poor background, dental appointments were kept up until I hit 14, and did the childhood thing of not wanting to go. My parents allowed this to happen, they are great parents, I just wish they'd of made me. When I got to 16 I had to pay for dental treatment, I noticed no problems so didn't bother. When I got to 19 I noticed a little bleeding, but I couldn't afford to go to the dentist.
My dad eventually suffered from a bad health problem to the point where I was helping to support my parents so dental treatment was low on my list. I noticed plaque and tartar build up in some parts of my mouth but was left in a position where I couldn't do anything.
Then, at 23 I decided to prioritise my dental treatment. I found a lovely dentist who realised my fear as I was shaking (probably due to not going in 8-9 years). She talked me through why we need to do this and that and recommended I go back for a deep clean.
During the deep clean today, I can say it was quite uncomfortable. She said if it gets too bad she will provide me pain relief, but it never got to the point of that. There was a bit of bleeding, and my gums were sore after (this has gone thanks to pain relief).. and tbh, even though my gums are looking a bit red at the moment, I notice the difference already. She said my teeth are great and recommended flossing/brushing twice a day/ mouthwash.
I've come off very lightly, anything I found out about mouth/gums I researched on the internet, my school or anyone else never really taught it me.
Just face your fear guys, I lurked on this website for months before I first got up the courage to go. In my head I just thought it will get worse, and I need to do it. I registered an account to thank all the people that contribute on these boards. I never signed up before or posted but it was so helpful to read through people's stories.
My experience has taught me to keep going to the dentist for check ups.




