• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle

D

deku_scrub

So I hadn't initially been to the dentist in around 10 years but ended up going last September due to a tooth cracking. Both my teeth and gums were in an awful condition. My teeth would randomly bleed, which was horrifically embarrassing at work and in my personal life. My teeth were absolutely caked in plaque and my gums were incredibly red and swollen.

I feel like I've come a long way since then. I've come from brushing my teeth haphazardly for a minute once every few days to now brushing twice a day, using dental sticks and using mouthwash. Apart from a couple of times when I've prematurely fallen asleep, I have been meticulous about my regime and never let it slip. I've had a clean and polish, deep scaling and, so far, one filling. I am trying so hard to turn things around me and take care of myself. I can feel my gums getting less puffy, the pockets are slowly disappearing. My teeth, despite falling apart, are apparently repairable, minus 5 planned extractions.

But frankly it feels like a losing battle. I am left with a huge amount of bone loss in between teeth. I feel absolutely disgusting and repulsive. I have neglected my teeth for almost 34 years and only in the last 6 months have I taking care of them, and I fear it is way too late to save them. It's hard to tell if I am getting more bone loss or if it's because my gum pockets are shrinking. But either way I feel like no matter what I do, it's going to continue getting worse. I have already spent close to $400 on treatment so far, god knows how much more I will be spending. I'm back at the dentist in just over a week to try and fix up my front teeth a little before my sisters wedding.

I guess I'm looking for words of encouragement and perhaps potential treatment that may be available for me to consider once I finally have things under control. My confidence is absolutely shot and I'm desperately trying to turn things around.

Here is how my gums have changed in the last 6 months. I'm really pleased with how they've come along but I feel like I've got a long way to go before they recover (or rather if they can

.20170219_170113.jpg

And here is how my teeth and gum pockets are looking these days. I feel f*cking disgusting and I don't know if I'll ever get them looking decent again.

20170219_170250.jpg

I can see the difference in the pictures they are looking better. I neglected my teeth for years. I would go weeks not brushing them and just eating chocolate. I am trying hard to get a rotinue of brushing twice a day, so far I am managing once a day. Teeth can't be fixed over night. Mine got bad because of my dental phobia. But I have 3 more fillings and two extractions and this time I am going to keep up with my cleanings and check ups but all you can do is just keep cleaning go for regular check up. Think of the future not the past

Thanks for the reply! It's definitely tough to keep up a regular cleaning schedule. I'm trying my best to just not worry and just keep going until my next appointment.

Remember, you have come such a long way! I see a HUGE difference in the before and after pictures! Dentists really know what they're doing and I'm sure once you're all fixed up, you can ask them about any recommendations for possible whitening or straightening or whatever it is you're interested in. I feel the same way. I feel like my teeth look terrible, but only because I suffer from extremely fragile teeth. My teeth chip and crack easily and I have bone loss in the roots as well. Also, your progress picture is only SIX MONTHS! Think about a year! Or 2 years from now! They could look so different! Just remember to keep going to the dentist. Make regular cleaning and check up appointments, take care of them at home like you have been, etc. You have come so far and it's only been six months. Progress always take time. If this is your progress at 6 months, I can't imagine what it'll look like in a year or two.

Back