• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I have Aggressive peridontis....... I'm so scared!!!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brittanychick
  • Start date Start date
B

Brittanychick

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
41
Location
Brittany
I found this forum last night and I'm so pleased I did!!
I live in Brittany, about 2 years ago I plucked up courage to go and see the dentist..... I've been putting it off for so many years, my fear of the dentist seems to have got worse as I've got older..... but I needed a front filling done and my caps pushed back up(I had a wedding to go to) as they had dropped down, after examining my teeth the dentist then proceeded to tell me that I had aggressive peridontis and all my teeth would have to be removed, all I could do was sob in the chair, well I plucked up even more courage to go and see other dentists over the months hoping they would say something different, even went to see a specialist in England, he gave the same verdict, and that cost alot money!!!!
After 2 years and more of gum infections triple toothache, I've just had to have one of my molars removed because gum infection...I was in so much pain with it, that was a couple of weeks ago, I felt so brave but if it hadn't had been for my neighbour who took me to the dentist I probably wouldn't have gone.
Today's the day where I'm going to get an imprint done of my teeth, I'm worried that when he pulls the imprint (not sure what you call it) some of my teeth might come out[smiley=scared.gif]
it will take 2 weeks for my dentures to be made ....this is the bit I can't bear thinking about on the 22nd I go back to the dentist and he will take all the top teeth out,(in one go) this is by injection in the mouth[smiley=sick.gif] I'm only 45 , when I was first diagnosed my dentist (who is very kind and gentle and patient with me, as i'm such a big baby) knew I wasn't mentally ready for this!! but I have no choice. I have become a little bit of a recluese really reluctant to do anything, I'm not a happy bunny like I used to be.
yes I have thought of suicide I won't say that hasn't crossed my mind, but I'm to chicken to do it.
I'm totally dependent on my husband over here and I do hate the thought he's spending so much money on me.
My neighbour's coming with me today and on the 22nd for moral support, she knows I'm having a tough time dealing with this.
Thank you for listening, if you know what i mean.
Sandy
 
Hey Sandy,
I can mainly say read through my journal to know I'm going through the same at the moment...and that there are SOME alternatives to what you are going through. I say SOME, because, there wasn't much hope for me either...but a little improvement was that I could do it in stages.
I hope your imprints went ok, its a bit odd, but it is bad when you are sitting in that chair thinking of the process you are going through.
I feel sure your teeth didn't come out - as I had the same fear at the time, and felt precisely as you describe.
If you can get around the fact that you will have to wear dentures....thats the biggest step, honestly. You can get through it, no matter how scared and depressed you may feel.
That initial bit is the worst to get your head around.
I'm doing mine in stages, and got 3 out tmw...yep, I'm terrified.
But, I will be going through with it regardless. Do i want to lose them?
Of course not, but it is going to get better.
How do I know this?

  1. I have met people/spoken to people with dentures - they seem fine with it
  2. I don't have much choice
  3. The amount of people on this forum have/are /done the same thing...and they say its ok too
It is hard - but you will do it, and you have support here, and you are not the only one...also not the youngest either! (36)
Try and concentrate on you, as a whole - your teeth are only a part of you...not all of you!
You have support from your husband, and your friends, and from us...that will mean everything, and you can...and will ...get through it!
Sending you positive thoughts :)
and loads and loads of [smiley=hugging.gif]
 
One consideration when you have the teeth removed is to have the dentist graft bone onto the sockets where the roots were. By doing this you greatly slow down the resoprtion of the ridge that holds the denture. There are several products available for this in the USA. It makes a big difference long term with denture comfort and function.
 
Thank you Didn't see it coming and Comfortdentist
I don't why I was getting so het up it all went fine teeth remained in mouth, thank god.
Forgot to mention earlier 2 of my side caps dropped out.... 1 over a month ago and the other 1 week ago so been feeling a little bit like Nanny Mcphee with the big front tooth, my gum kept caving into the gap....strange sensation but I'm going to have to get used to that, he managed to fit one of the teeth back in...so at the moment I've got a gap so grinning like a cheshire cat is'nt an option. Ater he took the impression of my teeth he then gave me a mirror so he could show me what colour the teeth I would be having, to my horror when I looked in the mirror I looked like shrek with all this green stuff on my face from the impression, god what a sight!!! now I know that was the easy bit now..on the 22nd I'll go real thing , the dentist explained I will be in the chair for 2 hrs, to me that's 2 hrs to long but he wants to make sure all is right take his time as he said have a coffee...... make mine a double whisky while your there, calm the nerves. 12 teeth out on the top, full dentures in, but will I look like the doggie advert for the chew sticks, every time I see that ad i'm thinking to myself am i going to look like that, are they taking the mick!!!
As to support from O/H well we'll see!! he's very much a mans man," Deal with it" springs to mind..so he'll still expect me to do my daily routine, but he could surprise me,I know he is there for me but..... thank god for my neighbour who will be coming with me on the 22nd she's already planning meals for him to eat, bless her! she was married to someone just like him.My family is behind me but it's across the miles I would so love to have my mum with me and give me a hug and say everything's going to be alright, but that won't happen due to mum & dad being disabled and housebound.
Thanks again it really does mean a lot!!!!
Sandy x
 
I had to laugh at that dog advert reference!!! Do you know, since I started doing something about my teeth...every advert - tv/internet, everything I see/read/hear is all about teeth. It was all about bad teeth, now its all about dentures!!! If the media actually acknowledged dental phobia, we'd see different adverts!
I was sick with worry mine would fall out when the impressions were done, and she told me that she had done 1000's, and never had one come out - I honestly thought I would be the exception - but alas, I was not. And I'm so glad you weren't either :)
Extractions are pretty quick - done in a few seconds really. Its waiting for the numbness to kick in that takes longer, and as long as you are honest that you can't feel any sharp jabs, you will be pain free.
Tell ur OH - tell him to be manly and be in charge! You'll want the support from him and he can make his own dinner! :)
I'm sure he will surprise you...when you're going through that, he will. He's probably preparing himself to comfort you, but just won't let you see his ummm...caring side :)
I tell you something, it seems better to have them all out than having some in and partials...at least right now, for me, it is!
Sending you loads and loads and loads of [smiley=hugging.gif]
 
Blinking computers i was in the middle of writing a reply and it decides to do an update.....I'll start again!!!

Thanks Didn't see it coming. I think my o/h having pangs of guilt now because he asked if I'm sure that I didn't want him coming with me and as to him cooking his own dinner, I don't think that will happen somehow, my neighbour's cooking wednesday dinner bless her!
Well it's countdown to the dreaded day and at the moment I'm feeling calm though I'm not sure where that's come from..... is it the calm before the storm, been trying to think of what last meal I can have before the appointment but I really don't think on the day I'm going to be able to have a good meal before the appointment I'm going to be too nervous.
I've asked the dentist if I can bring an ipod in, I've also bought a stress ball, it's bigger than a tennis ball, would have liked smaller but this is France for you , I couldn't found anything else, it's got big googly eyes purple with rubbery hair , I'm sure the dentist will look at me strange, but I get so tense clenching my fingers together until they hurt! the only problem with the ball when squeezed the eyes bulge....really don't want to be putting the dentist off.
When the top ones are done at sometime the dentist will do the bottoms ones but I've got 2 good teeth so it will be partial dentures for the bottom.
Thank you for your support
Sandy x
 
just imagine the tennis ball is your dentist :)
My arms flapped so madly, i felt a right idiot just for that alone, so the stress ball thing works!
Also, you won't come out with fingernailed hands and blood dripping!!!! :cool:
Your Oh will be feeling it worse than you will be, as its getting closer, he'll be feeling for you...you tend to cope easier when its you going through it than they do...you'll know what i mean :)
I keep thinking is the ipod a good idea too...then never do...i think it is, tho its over so much quicker than u'd imagine...but def do the ipod...just go with banging tunes, and stuff that u don't hold dear - u want wanna play them again over the next few weeks!
I'm right here with u too...got probs with mine and poured my heart out earlier, so...u ever wanna do that - i'm here, along with the rest of the forum. I understand how difficult it can be to talk with people, especially in the middle of the night!
Best of luck for Wed....you will be fine, you'll be strong and you will get through it. Your OH will be there and making it up to you...possibly with dire dinners :)
[smiley=hugging.gif]
 
my o/h cooking dinners, that will be the 1st :laugh: I just realised that laughing icon got no teeth :o.
My o/h wanted to take me to look at wardrobes on Saturday...I pointed out to him that I might not be up to that, he asked why!!! Dentist I reminded him, o he said what about your weekly shop...I think he's worried that he won't get his bottles of JD as panic set in to his eyes....he piped "you could always where a scarf" if it was winter time, yeh i could get away with it, men!!!
My calmness didn't last for long every now & then my gut starts to churn just thinking about wednesday.
thanks again Sandy x
 
Hey! How are you doing? I know it's difficult, but when it comes to dental stuff I (try to) focus on the next day or a certain time that day knowing it'll all be over! <3
 
The past 2 years have been a rollercoaster of emotions!!! I woke up yesterday first thing I did was check my teeth are still there (I have been dreaming about teeth) as my gut started churning I reached for the Rescue Remedy and had a few squirts in my mouth to calm me down, it worked!!
Well tomorrows the day, there's no going back!! at the moment i'm feeling calm, but don't speak to soon! somewhere in the back of my mind this little voice keeps saying it's going to be alright, I like to think my nans put that thought in there and she'll be with me in spirit, god rest her soul! I do belive in stuff like that!
thanks for the support
sandy x
 
Good luck for tomorrow. Hope everything goes ok.
 
I hope everything went well today!
 
Well it's done!!!! after 20 injections!! i was so rigid I started to shake, when he started to extract the teeth my eyes remind closed through out and tears started roll down cheeks the assistant was trying to mop up as fast she could, I do feel daft now, I don't whether that was pent up emotion, I was in the chair for just over an hour. What I found strange the dentist put something in my mouth which i thought was wadding for the blood he went into the next room ....after a few minutes I turned to the assistant and asked if he was going to remove my front teeth she said it was all done and that was my dentures, why didn't he tell me!! I know it's difficult for him to speak in english, he didn't tell me how to care for the dentures what products to use on them well if did I didn't take it in, I'm sure he didn't, he didn't show me how to take them out and put them back, I did ask him about salty water but he said there was no need. I'm terrified about taking my teeth out for the first time and seeing me all gummy, do I take my teeth and clean them or do I leave them for a bit longer???? but apart from that I've got a lovely smile now, I've been popping the painkillers.
sandy x
 
Thought I would do an update. Well it's been 2 weeks with my immediate dentures, I've had a few teething problems, sorry about the pun but couldn't resist! I went on a major downer 3 days afterwards....and I know why it was because I knew that I would have to take the teeth out to clean and I would see myself for the first time without teeth, :o:o well I've now got used to it, though I try not to look in the mirror to often without teeth. Hd to return to the dentist about a week after because I had one mega sore in my mouth, he shaved abit of the dentures which made more comfortable small bits of bone from my gums which were rubbing against the denture, well I went yesterday for the alinements, afterwards it felt really comfortable but today it feels unlittle uncomfortable in the front area I'll hang on as much as I can, I do have an appointment in 2 weeks time.
The good news!!!! I asked the dentist when is he going to tackle my bottom teeth he said he would leave them for a long as poss, sigh of relief!!!
The only problem i got apart from a few sores is every time i cough my denture drops down, I haven't used fixadent yet ....I really don't like the thought of scrapping it of my mouth :o
Sandy xx
 
Back
Top