• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I have the dentist tomorrow - Please Help!

T

Toofless

Junior member
Joined
Sep 12, 2017
Messages
6
Hi, I'm new :) I hope I am posting in the right place..Bit of a long story - I have the dentist tomorrow. I haven't been for years. I have anxiety & depression & find it hard to deal with the outside world/people. I gave up on life & I am now paying the price for years of neglect to myself. I am embarrased & ashamed of myself. I can't bring myself to tell the dentist, or anyone about my state of mind. I am really stressed & panicking about my appointment. I'm worried I will have a panic attack or something. Any tips on how to cope with severe dentist anxiety? How do I prepare myself? Is there somewhere I can find tips on here! I know it will be bad tomorrow. :( Thanks in advance.
 

 
toofless,

I also have great anxiety. I had talked myself into thinking I was going to lose my teeth after the deep cleaning they wanted to do. scared to death.. I actually emailed the dental office and told them.. I'm very scared about this and about ready to chicken out. I found out the hygenist usually does the anesthetic and I was really nervous about that they told me they can have the dentist to, they reassured me , and enouraged me they will see me later. they were so compassionate.. Maybe you could do similiar and get relieved a little ? I also check reviews and feel better when others say nice things about them..


Hi, I'm new :) I hope I am posting in the right place..Bit of a long story - I have the dentist tomorrow. I haven't been for years. I have anxiety & depression & find it hard to deal with the outside world/people. I gave up on life & I am now paying the price for years of neglect to myself. I am embarrased & ashamed of myself. I can't bring myself to tell the dentist, or anyone about my state of mind. I am really stressed & panicking about my appointment. I'm worried I will have a panic attack or something. Any tips on how to cope with severe dentist anxiety? How do I prepare myself? Is there somewhere I can find tips on here! I know it will be bad tomorrow. :( Thanks in advance.
 
To everyone who has replied so far -

Thank you for replying, well done for being brave & facing your fears. Proving to me that it can be done Xxx :)

- - - -

Also, thank you for the links. They are useful & helpful, especially the printabke forms etc. Xx

So glad I found this place :)
 
Let us know how it goes!! ;)
 
Thanks again for your reply :) Just got back, it wasn't much fun, but the dentist was nice, which helped a lot. I've got to go back for some x-rays and a filling (as expected) which I am dreading, but at least I've taken the first step now & I know I can get through without having an anxiety attack, so that's something. :) Also, knowing this place is here helps a lot. :) X
 
Thanks again for your reply :) Just got back, it wasn't much fun, but the dentist was nice, which helped a lot. I've got to go back for some x-rays and a filling (as expected) which I am dreading, but at least I've taken the first step now & I know I can get through without having an anxiety attack, so that's something. :) Also, knowing this place is here helps a lot. :) X

I'm just seeing your post now. I'm happy for you that all went well. Congratulations on taking the first step toward a healthy mouth! ?
 
Good to hear!! It helps sooo much when the dentist is nice. !! HOpe your fillings and xrays go well! :0
 
I'm just seeing your post now. I'm happy for you that all went well. Congratulations on taking the first step toward a healthy mouth! ?

Thank you! :) I hope that, in time, you can take some steps in the right direction too. Thank you for the support :)
 
Back
Top