• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I really need help

P

Phildob

Hi Please help me I’m having a terrible time. I’ve had a lifelong fear of the Dentist which resulted in my last 20 teeth being removed last Friday. I had immediate dentures fitted which again has been awful. Here’s the thing I have been back a few times and with adjustments the tops aren’t too bad now.

The bottom is a different story. They just aren’t wide enough for the arch of my gums. It turns out I have little boney bumps on my gums that just rub away at the dentures. I’m left with ulcers all over my bottom gums. I’m back at the dentist soon but I can’t see how they can make them fit as they’ve been adjusted to max and still rub. It’s like when they took the impression they totally missed these little bumps on my gums. Can I get temp or soft ones made ASAP money isn’t an issue I just need the pain to stop and be able to have lower teeth that I can eat with :(

I'm sorry to read that you are having so much discomfort. While personally I don't have any experience with dentures, I have read that sores are common initially, especially with the immediate denture which isn't exactly perfect. Further adjustments may be the key, but for many dental procedures, rinsing with warm salt water can help speed up healing of the gums and sooth the sores that you have. My dentist usually recommends doing it 3-4 times per day after a procedure. I hope this helps and I hope you feel better soon!

Hi,

If you feel too much discomfort, you can always not wear the denture.
What the dentist can do is called "soft reline": a layer of soft silicone is applied on the inner side of the denture, making it much softer, more comfortable and more retentive. After a few days/two weeks you might need a new layer of reline.

Soft relines can definitely help! You're not doomed. Your gums are constantly changing right now as you heal, and you may even have tiny harmless bone shards working their way free and causing you discomfort! That is all normal.

Also, as Dr. Daniel said, you *can* actually go without them for eating. I did! I went without any dentures 3 days after my full-extractions. I stuck with soft-ish food - think cooked broccoli and cauliflower, mincemeat, soft potatoes and things like that. Even burgers, providing the bun was the soft kind and there wasn't anything thin and chewy on it! Don't be scared to take the bottom dentures out and experiment! When you get your permanent dentures, I guarantee they will be a much better fit. :)

Back