• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I think I accidentally scraped my enamel off.

C

csharpe

My teeth at the back of my mouth (the last three) on the top are super sensitive. A couple months ago I started noticing plaque, and I keep my teeth really clean. Out of fear of getting a cavity, I took a pair of eyebrow scissors and have been scraping the hard plaque. I only recently bought a proper metal dental pick. For the past couple months I’ve been using the very sharp eyebrow scissors. I know this sounds stupid but I didn’t even think of the damage this was doing to my teeth until I started to feel extreme sensitivity on the top half of my teeth near the gums. It’s to the point that when I brush my teeth side by side i can feel it on my nerves. I’m really scared. What should I do? Pictures attached for reference.

Attachments

• D37EEFD5-1B01-4F9E-A51D-7CCE6AAF350F.jpeg
    D37EEFD5-1B01-4F9E-A51D-7CCE6AAF350F.jpeg
    410.6 KB · Views: 25
  • D8DD6126-D252-4768-8678-2469021CF072.jpeg
    D8DD6126-D252-4768-8678-2469021CF072.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Often removing plaque and calculus allows the gums to tighten up and shrink back a bit which can very slightly expose some root dentine and cause sensitivity.

I’d suggest brushing with a sensitive toothpaste and stop scraping with the metal implements, if things are still sensitive head to your dentist who should be able to apply some varnish to help.

Photos look pretty normal other than some slight gum recession which would explain the symptoms.

I did the same thing! I don’t think it caused an issue. Take some Sensodyne and rub it into the teeth twice a day for a few days.

Back