• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I wish it was over...

B

bigg9058

T-minus 16 hrs or so until my dental appointment tomorrow.

Its been a month since my last appt at the new office my wife found - this office supposed does all of your work in one day, which sounds wonderful. Only this is my second appt already.

Last time it was just an evaluation/X-ray but this time I think they want to do a cleaning (which I hate) and more Xrays. I've been trying to be good all day, but the familiar feeling of fear is beginning to creep in.

I think i've decided if I don't care if I lose all my teeth. George Washington didn't have any - he did ok. Why do we need them anyway? Teeth are overrated.

Help!

Good luck for tomorrow :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

we need them :)

you'll be OK. Cleanings aren't so bad just noisy and boring . try to breathe deeply into your abdomen and breathe out slowly to stay calm

we need them :)

you'll be OK. Cleanings aren't so bad just noisy and boring . try to breathe deeply into your abdomen and breathe out slowly to stay calm

I'm trying not to let it take over my evening. Its just, I know even after the cleaning that I'm not done. Its just a preliminary thing to figure out what else they need to do.

And I'm so embarassed.

1. don't be embarrassed. I guarantee they've seen worse.

2. Try not to think of it as not being done. just think of stepping stones over a river. each step you're closer to being on land again

:hugs:

Hi there

Firstly a big well done for making and going to that first appointment, that takes real courage and determination :respect::respect:

I agree with Zombiegroupie, they will definitely have seen much worse and most dentists nowadays are the nice, non judgmental types otherwise they wouldn't remain in business for long. Another thing to remember is that you are in control of the appointment all the way through, hopefully that will help a little.

Another trick (as advised by one of the dentists on the forum) would be to ask them to treat the easiest tooth possible to start with that way you can build up trust with the dentist and staff; I found that was a particularly good piece of advice ;)

Good luck with your appointment, I'm sure that you will do just fine.

Kind Regards

:waves:

I can totally relate to what you said about George Washington...but I'm sure it's just the frustration talking that's making you feel this way right now :) trust me, I've been in a rut for quite sometime over my own teeth and I've said some pretty outlandish things, haha, and wanted to throw in my hat...do I even own a hat? I have beanies, I guess those count...but I just try to take a breather and remind myself that eventually it will be over. Even if it seems like eventually is actually forever.

No one wants to lose their teeth, and if this helps at all just remember that somewhere out there there is someone who would love to have your mouth even if it totally doesn't seem like it at all. If we can save our teeth we should always try. Nothing is like a good old tooth, and I'm fighting for every single one of mine without a single shard of hesitation. Plenty of fear, but no hesitation...well, maybe sometimes. Like when I get to feeling like pulling a "George Washington"...but of course I know that it's always better to spend a Georgie on an ice cream than to have all of my teeth pulled. Much more delicious, too :p By the way, did you know his teeth weren't wooden?

Try to relax. It's going to be okay. Get your cleaning done and take it one step at a time. Don't panic yet. And if you do start to panic come on the forum and vent :) you'll often find many sympathetic ears if you do. Best wishes :clover: