• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Here goes. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Ah, you are referring to the aftermath in terms of your emotional and physiological reaction. I just wasn't clear based on your post, but I am very familiar with the physiological response to prolonged stress and trauma -- I am familiar from both a personal as well as professional (I worked for many years as a mental health therapist) experience.

Some things that help me:

1. Eating good, whole foods with calming properties -- as preservative free as possible (they can be very activating to the central nervous system). Soft nuts are very good for this.

2. Making sure to get exercise. And, it has to be exercise that gets you to the point of being out of breath and physically exhausted. It does a very good job at interrupting the cortisol cycle that happens oath anxiety -- even if it only produces brief respites, the more you can interrupt the anxiety chemicals, the more likely you will be to have longer periods where you don't feel so horribly anxious (I describe it as feeling constantly and al the time like you are at that moment at the top of a roller coaster or about to jump out of a plane)

3. Get enough sleep by any means necessary. By this I mean that sometimes you may need medication (even if it's just Benadryl) to get your body back on a good sleep/wake cycle. Without sleep you cannot deal with anxiety.

4. Remember to breath. As crazy as this sounds, practicing good, diaphragmatic breathing can do amazing things to interrupt the physiological anxiety response. Like exercise, even if it's only for a few moments, it can eventually become longer moments.

Perhaps you already know all of these. And, they are always easier said than done. But I find if I can even just focus on doing one really well, then it's easier to do the others little by little.

And, of course, we will all be here for you to get support from!

Hello,

Thanks so much for the response. I really like your list. I could not agree more. I have been following these suggestions for a long time, and truly believe that this has helped keep me in a reasonable mental state. We eat almost entirely organic foods, that are cooked at home. My diet is almost vegan with the occaional seafood. I live in the Pacific Northwest, USA, and the sea food is just to good to pass up. Nothing is processed, unless you count peanut butter, etc. I also enjoy keeping a food journal, there are many online, that allow me to track fat, starch and proteins. The journal also serves to remind me what recipes I liked and those that do not work out. As for number 2, I am a Gym Rat, the time that I work out is almost bliss, and if I miss a day I can really feel it, in the anxiety. 2 hours a day is the goal, 1 to 1.5 hours is the reality. I am afraid I end up spending to much time talking to my fellow, rats. Sleep is a hard one. If I get a good work out, I always sleep a little better. Seems that I wake up at between 1 am and 3 am most days, but maybe I could use that time to do breathing exercise, instead of using Dr. Google, to self diagnose. Thats a real bad habit that I find hard to break.

Your analogy of the roller coasters and planes are spot on. I have described it to my wife (most understanding human ever) as standing next to a cliff. Most of the time I can handle it, but if life walks by and gives me little bump, it is difficult not to tumble. There's just not a lot of emotional buffer. I find that a sense of humor goes along way, in my case sort of a "gallows humor" variety. Even though I often feel very tense, I very much enjoy getting others to laugh.:cool:

Thanks.

I LOVE the Pacific Northwest and have seriously contemplated moving to Portland. I've been there a couple of times and I'm due for a trip back there.

I also find that humor is super helpful! Your gym time is admirable. I'm luck if I get an hour in. I'm mostly a runner, but I live in the northeast and only tend to get outside once or twice a week this time of year. In terms of sleep, there may be some good herbal supplements to help... And if there's anywhere that's good for that it's the Pacific Northwest :)

You've already done so much work to get where you are with your dental journey. I have no doubt you will make it through your appointment in much better shape than you expect!

And, if you're tempted to google in the middle of the night, post here instead. When it's 1am by you, I think it's 9am in England... So there will be people on here :)

I should also say about humor that it's probably the thing I appreciate about my dentist the most - he has a great sense of humor and can always get me to laugh even when I'm at my most anxious. I hope you will find this with your dentist as I know that I have not gotten through the work I've had done without that.

Hello,

Yes, Portland is really a pretty neat place. I have lived in the Willamette Valley my whole life. The weather is usually pretty warm. Typically above freezing, but we do have snow about 1.5 hours East. You are correct about the herbal supplements. Unfortunately, they don't sit well with me. I know a lot of great folks who swear by them, (now that I think about, almost everyone I know). My wife needs to travel 2 hours south tomorrow, to check in with her fathers neurologist, as he just had a stroke. I was just going to ride along after the oral sedation, and hopefully enjoy the view, but now find out that my mother is feeling poorly. She suffers from CHF, and has been in and out of hospital for last 3 years. This means that I well have to stay in Portland for the day, and possibly take my mother back to the doctors. Thus, no oral sedation. I talked to the dentist office, and the plan is for them to take X-rays, then maybe a little nitrous, and we shall see where I am at that point. If it works, great. If not, at least the X-ray part is done. They do not use the bite on film, they have another type that just circles your head. I can probably count that as another baby step.

Just a fun thought on the nitrous. As a nervous, but recovering, flyer, it seems to me that those little masks that come down, in times of aeronautical distress, should be filled with nitrous. Make the ride down a lot more enjoyable. I presented this to a friend of mine who is a commercial pilot. Amongst other concerns, he was afraid the passengers would not want to evacuate upon landing. Suppose he's right.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just wanted to wish you luck today and hope all goes much easier for you than you anticipate. I've read far too much on dental anxiety and sedation and lots in between but it seems that there are lots of studies from your neck of the woods...well, the state of Washington really. Lots of studies on dental phobia and a clinic as part of a school there which I don't see much of in the US. All this to say I think you are in good hands and can breathe a little less quickly knowing that your staff has gotten more training in this particular department and are well equipped to help you. And, remember, just go as far as you feel comfortable. If you don't want to or cannot do something DON'T. Go slowly. Small successes lead to larger gains.

Oh and by the way, the nitrous/oxygen mask idea in the airplanes will keep me laughing for days.... GREAT idea!

Hello,

I made it. I was bouncing off the walls, but at some point this morning I bounced out the door, into the car, and into the office. I did not get the full inspection, but I did get X-rays done. They said I will probably need a deep clean, but did not mention anything else. So, on the 20th of January, I get to go back and finish the exam and start the deep cleaning. They did say that there was no bone loss, which I guess is pretty good news. I am certainly not out of the woods yet, but I am still in the battle. Baby steps. I was able to do this with no sedation and no nitrous. They do get 4 X-rays with a bite on device. So for the first time in many many years I actually had someone look in my mouth and I did not totally freak out. Thank you all for all the support. Without my wonderful wife and the support of this crew, I do not think I would have made it this far.

Thanks.

:jump::jump:Well done - you did great!:jump::jump:

!

SUPER JOB!!! WELL DONE!! I think it is awesome you made such progress today!!! YAY! Just one appointment, one little thing at a time and you'll get there. So far so good with regard to the news too....fingers crossed it stays that way. No reason to think otherwise. Don't borrow trouble. Just keep yourself busy till the 20th, the rest will take care of itself. We are here for you in the meantime.

Nice job!!! Now take some deep breaths and try to get some sleep tonight.

Hello,

"Don't borrow trouble". Those are words to live by.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Easier said than done I'm afraid.

Hello,

True enough.

Thanks.

I canceled my last appointment, since I had a really bad cold. My friends call it the 100 day cough. Somewhere down deep, this felt like a major failure.

Rescheduled for yesterday. Yesterday morning I was a complete basket case. You could not have wound me up any tighter, with a crank handle. I was so nervous, I could not stand still. My wife drove me over at the appointed execution time, and I checked into the office. I was not sure I wanted the oral sedation they prescribed, don't ask me why. At the time, I was not thinking really well. Luckily they talked me into taking the pill. 25 minutes later, everything was fine. The first quadrant took almost an hour and a half to clean. The whole office staff was great. I can actually say I am looking forward to the next appointment. My jaw is sore as heck this morning, and my gums are tender. Looks like I well be eating soup for a day or two. I have at least four more of these appointments to get to. I can honestly say, at this time, that I am not nervous about them at all. I got lucky and found the nicest dentist office you could imagine. I would also like to thank the crew at this website. I know that having your support, made all the difference.

Thanks. :)