• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm 50 years old and other than having a few teeth pulled in my 20's, I've never been to a dentist.

L

LissaK

I'm 50 years old and other than having a few teeth pulled in my 20's, I've never been to a dentist.

In January, I'll have dental insurance for the first time in my life. I'm terrified and utterly embarrassed for anyone, including a dentist, to see the extent of my problem. Currently, every upper tooth and all but three of my lower teeth are broken off at the gum line. No one, not even my family or my boyfriend, know how bad my mouth is. I've become an expert at hiding the truth. I use plastic teeth that are used by most to temporarily cover a missing tooth. I have basically created my own dentures with the plastic teeth and thermal fitting beads. My lower teeth are much harder fake. I'm currently using the fitting beads that I mold around my gums so that I can eat. Unfortunately, the fitting beads stain easily and I spend hours upon hours making teeth. I don't know what to say when I make my first appointment. I'm beyond embarrassed and scared to death for someone to actually see my mouth. There's nothing left to save and I'll be happy to have real dentures. I just don't know how to present myself, to even the receptionist, without becoming sick. I'll gladly accept any suggestions. Thank you.

Hello and welcome! I think if you’ve read some of the other posts, you’ve probably seen that many other people on here have been in a situation similar to yours.

Often, the most difficult part is making the first appt and showing up. A good dentist will not judge you and will work with you to come up with a plan. You may have to try a couple of different dentists to find one that is the right one for you, but kind, skilled dentists are out there. If you dread calling, some people have found that emailing the practice/dentist is easier for them.

Have you identified a dentist (or dentists) you are going to try? Can you ask family/friends for recommendations? If not, reading reviews online can help.

@LissaK you are not alone.This took a lot of courage for me to get on here as I have been hiding the condition of my mouth forever..I have never seen a dentist but I went for a consult when I was 15 she scared me so bad and told me how painful it would be that I left and never looked back..I pray you do whats best for YOU! FEAR is dibilitating and paralyzes us..Its real

Back