• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm so embarrassed and ashamed

  • Thread starter Thread starter xxxDeeDeexxx
  • Start date Start date
X

xxxDeeDeexxx

Junior member
Joined
Jan 3, 2013
Messages
3
Location
Hagerstown, Maryland
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and very glad to have found a place where I am able relate to others! I'll just get right to it; I'm 20 years old and have NEVER gone to a dentist. I'm so embarrassed and ashamed, but I have such an irrational fear, and I don't even understand why. I've heard horror stories from family and friends, many instances in which they've gone and have suffered pain and embarrassment. I'm a very anxious person; I basically suffer from anxiety issues. Hearing people talk about how they've gone to the dentist and leave with horrible pain, it scares me so much. Pain isn't my only issue either; the fear of being ridiculed is another major issue. Having to admit to them that I've never visited a dentist, I fear the embarrassment and the criticism I'll face when I finally go to one. I'm planning to schedule an appointment very soon, since I'm suffering from pain on the left side of my jaw. I'm terrified of going, and I really hope I don't back out on this appointment. Can anyone please give me some advice, some tips to help me relax and get the courage to go? I’d really appreciated. :redface:
 
Hello and welcome to the forum.

For some reason some people like to tell stories about pain and gore, they find it funny to see peoples reactions to it. A lot of them are not true. If you ever felt the slightest bit of pain they can do something about it.

If I were you I would email or contact by phone a dentist and explain to them, how you have on here, how you feel. I think you will be pleased to find that they are very understanding and are willing to help you to get any treatment you may need. A lot of people find that their teeth are not as bad as they think. The dentist will not ridicule you or tell you off.

If you feel the dentist does not understand how you feel or that you cannot get a trusting relationship with them, then leave and find one that does.
Treatment can be totally free if done correctly. Try not to listen to horror stories and find a dentist and judge for yourself. If you are having pain it is better to get it seen to sooner rather than later.

Good luck, I hope you manage to ring or email soon.
 
Hello and welcome to the forum.

For some reason some people like to tell stories about pain and gore, they find it funny to see peoples reactions to it. A lot of them are not true. If you ever felt the slightest bit of pain they can do something about it.

If I were you I would email or contact by phone a dentist and explain to them, how you have on here, how you feel. I think you will be pleased to find that they are very understanding and are willing to help you to get any treatment you may need. A lot of people find that their teeth are not as bad as they think. The dentist will not ridicule you or tell you off.

If you feel the dentist does not understand how you feel or that you cannot get a trusting relationship with them, then leave and find one that does.
Treatment can be totally free if done correctly. Try not to listen to horror stories and find a dentist and judge for yourself. If you are having pain it is better to get it seen to sooner rather than later.

Good luck, I hope you manage to ring or email soon.


Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciated it. I figured most people are just trying to scare me with their stories. I'm hoping the dental office I'll be calling will be understanding. I'm having trouble with my insurance company now so I have to fix that at the moment. Thank you again!
 
You are most welcome. Find a dentist and form your own opinion of the dentist you see. The right dentist is out there for you and you will find him/her. :thumbsup:
 
Hello xxxDeeDeexxx.
I would like to echo what Carole has said and also congratulate you for taking the steps you need to firstly getting the painful jaw/tooth sorted out and secondly when you build up a confidence about your Dentist you will go for frequent check up's and thus prevent anything nasty for surprising you in the future, if something about the Dentist or how She/He is treating you bothers you, please speak up and do not let things get out of hand .
Dentists are professionals and generally do not criticise or cause embarrassment to patients.
Warm wishes for a successful and long lasting dental experience.
KP xxx
 
DeeDee,

Congrats on taking the first step and welcome to the forum! I want to tell you that I was in the very same boat as you just a short time ago. I hadn't gone to a dentist in almost 15 years. I was so embarassed and ashamed of my teeth. But just calling the dentist made me feel so much better. It lifted so much of the agony and gave me a feeling of purpose that finally I was going to take care of this. You CAN do it. I know you can. Do not let the fear beat you up or become greater than the reward. I would suggest letting the dentist know that you are scared (either by phone or email). I emailed my dentist first and it was a great way of breaking the ice so that when I finally did make the call, I felt like I at least already knew the other person on the other end of the phone. Good luck to you, please keep us updated on your journey!

xo
-Belle
 
I want to thank everyone for replying! Honestly, I'm starting to feel a bit better after reading everyone's replies. I figured that I rather make the appointment now than later. I'm not sure about the pain I'm having. I find it weird, I started off about three weeks ago with a horrible headaches, and ended up going to the doctor three days ago to see what's going on. The headaches subsided now though, and now I have pain right below my left ear, the pain affects the left side of my jaw and neck. I've noticed that whenever I clench my teeth, it hurts. I'm not sure if it's a tooth that's bothering me or something else. Whether it's a dental issue or not, I might as well go and get it over with. I rather be safe than sorry. Thank you everyone again! :)
 

Similar threads

I
Replies
7
Views
2K
jneighties
J
G
Replies
6
Views
7K
Scared stiff 2018
S
K
Replies
5
Views
4K
__Steve__
S
A
Replies
15
Views
7K
anke
Back
Top