• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm too ashamed of my rotten teeth to visit dentist

M

Magwee72

I am a 41 year old woman and have avoided the dentist for years. Until earlier this year I smoked heavily but managed to successfully quit, also fizzy drinks have taken their toll, I am also ashamed to say poor dental hygiene. I need to do something and know most if not all will need to come out. What I would like to do is get restorative work done, but a bit at a time as I do not want a huge debt hanging over my head in case of a change in circumstances. Also, how can I overcome my shame? Are there dentists out there who will be understanding? My breath would floor a gorilla and its very very depressing, any advice would be welcome

Last edited:
Re: I'm too ashamed of my rotten teeth

good day! im just new here. how do i post in here? thank you!

Would also be very grateful if anyone can recommend an understanding private dentist in London ...

I am a 41 year old woman and have avoided the dentist for years. Until earlier this year I smoked heavily but managed to successfully quit, also fizzy drinks have taken their toll, I am also ashamed to say poor dental hygiene. I need to do something and know most if not all will need to come out. What I would like to do is get restorative work done, but a bit at a time as I do not want a huge debt hanging over my head in case of a change in circumstances. Also, how can I overcome my shame? Are there dentists out there who will be understanding? My breath would floor a gorilla and its very very depressing, any advice would be welcome

Not much I can say really except that I was the same, and still am really. I didn't visit a dentist for years, partly because I've moved around a bit and it always used to be difficult to get registered with one, but also because I was embarrassed to have someone looking at my teeth. Even now I hate it, and am dreading the next visit when they have to see the state of my latest tooth to crumble after the filling came out yesterday.

I'm not sure how to get over the feeling of shame/embarrassment, but you really should go before it gets any worse. My dentist actually gave me some high fluoride toothpaste to limit and try and help reduce the decay of my other teeth - it might be that you can be given the same paste which might help improve things. Either way, the longer you leave it the worse it will get, and therefore the worse shame you will then feel when you do have to go.

Dentists are used to seeing mouths in all sorts of states, and I know its easy said (as I said above I feel the same) but you really shouldn't worry about it. You might also be surprised - when I did go years ago after another long break I was told they weren't as bad as I'd made out - they might look worse than they are so its worth getting to your dentist to have them checked out.

Hi Magwee,

Well done for taking the first step towards getting yourself sorted!.

You are not alone in how you feel and most kind empathetic dentists would not give you a guilt trip about this, if they do, guess what they probably are not the right dentist for you.

Quitting smoking and taking the courage to go and see a dentist to get you on the path to better health is very commendable and any dentist with half a brain would not want to make you feel guilty.

I understand your concerns about cost, but the great thing about dentistry is that things can often be staged allowing you time to build up the resources required. In your case it may be that you would probably have some initial work to stabilise your mouth and quite a bit of time with a dental hygienist to begin improving your gum health and your bad breath issues, this is not very costly.

If you are in London the good news is that it is one of the most competitive places in the UK to have a practice and as a result some of the most competitive prices for private dentistry (as well as some of the most expensive!) so you should get good value for your investment in your health.

Whereabouts in London are you and I can see if I know anyone or alternatively I will do some research for you?

:)

There is no need to be ashamed, dentists are there to help you. Would you go to the hospital if your leg was broken? Course you would.

It is there job to fix the problem so head up and visit a dentist.

Hi Magwee,

Well done for taking the first step towards getting yourself sorted!.

You are not alone in how you feel and most kind empathetic dentists would not give you a guilt trip about this, if they do, guess what they probably are not the right dentist for you.

Quitting smoking and taking the courage to go and see a dentist to get you on the path to better health is very commendable and any dentist with half a brain would not want to make you feel guilty.

I understand your concerns about cost, but the great thing about dentistry is that things can often be staged allowing you time to build up the resources required. In your case it may be that you would probably have some initial work to stabilise your mouth and quite a bit of time with a dental hygienist to begin improving your gum health and your bad breath issues, this is not very costly.

If you are in London the good news is that it is one of the most competitive places in the UK to have a practice and as a result some of the most competitive prices for private dentistry (as well as some of the most expensive!) so you should get good value for your investment in your health.

Whereabouts in London are you and I can see if I know anyone or alternatively I will do some research for you?

:)

Hi and thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I am in the hammersmith area, but happy to go anywhere from hounslow to central London .... I need to sort my mouth soon as I am too self conscious to even speak now :(

Hi and thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I am in the hammersmith area, but happy to go anywhere from hounslow to central London .... I need to sort my mouth soon as I am too self conscious to even speak now :(

Hi Magwee,

Jenny Pinder has a very good reputation for anxious patients and is in Central London near the Bank tube.

Neel

Thanks Neel. I very much appreciate you taking the time to get back to me. I work close to Bank so will look her up.

regards

magwee

Hi Magwee

We have several reviews for Jenny Pinder in our recommendations section here.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :clover::clover::clover: !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Vicki, will give you an update once I start the ball rolling

Hi Magwee72,

Another recommendation for Jenny Pinder. She is an expert in helping people with your predicament.
Check out her website:
[website removed as Jenny Pinder has retired]
Her email address is on the front page. Just drop her an email and tell her what you have told us.

It is so hard making that first appointment. However, once you meet a dentist who inspires confidence that they can and will look after you, you will feel a hundred times more at ease.
Best of luck

Lincoln

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all who took the time to post their suggestions.

i emailed Jenny Pinder and told her what I told you guys, she replied to me within a couple of hours (which was quicker than I expected). I have an appointment with her on Monday morning. I won't bore you all with a running commentary of each appointment, but will definitely update you when there is a noticeable difference to my teeth. It will be a slow process as I have to get on finance and am going to be spending about £5k at a time as I do not want to over commit financially.

With a bit of luck when I next post I will be a more confident person :)

Back