• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Immediate Temporary Solutions for Extraction?

C

Cici

Hi everyone,

A few months ago I finally got the nerve up to go to the dentist, so now I'm going through my dental treatment plan. My next step is to get a bridge, but before I can get it, I have to extract the remains of the tooth it will be replacing. My dentist told me that the bridge can be put in 2 months after the extraction. I didn't realize that you can get a temporary bridge while you wait for the real one, so it didn't occur to me to ask him about it.

Now I'm thinking that I'd really like to get a temporary replacement as soon as possible after the extraction and until I can get the permanent bridge since the tooth is close to the front. I don't think he's preparing my teeth for the bridge just yet, just doing the extraction at our next appointment. Is there any temporary replacements I can ask about that day? Or do I need to wait until the adjacent teeth are prepared for the bridge to get a temporary one?

Does the extraction site need to heal for a while before a temporary replacement can be put in? I don't necessarily care if it's a temporary bridge or any other kind of replacement. My next appointment after the extraction isn't for another three weeks, and I would just love to get something as soon as I can so I don't have to worry about smiling.

Thanks so much for any help in advance!

hi cici
a temporary bridge or denture or (sometimes) implant can often be fitted at the time of the extraction.
Obviously the dentist would need to plan this in advance so you should discuss it with them asap
best of luck, i hope it goes well
Rob

Back