• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

In total panic!!!! Losing 4 teeth and needing partials!

S

Scooter33

I have been afraid of the dentist for as long as I can remember! I had one dentist that was amazing when I was younger and when he moved outta state I had a string of bad experiences the last one resulting in a 7 year period of refusing to go to a dentist again!
See I had gone in for a cleaning when I told the hygienist about my receding gums on my bottom from teeth she went to get the doctor to take a look. Now I have had a receding gums line for as long as I can remember! Now not one dentist I had seen had ever informed me why it could be receding or how to properly take care of it so I would not eventually lose the teeth, in fact none of them even mentioned it! When the internet came around I did some research of my own and found out that I had a perfect storm for gum disease! Not only was I genetically inclined to have receding gums but I also clench my teeth,brush way to hard specifically in that area,take medication that drys my mouth out,and then I got pregnant and that put the last nail in my front teeth's coffin!
So the dentist comes in to see me and with the most disgusted look on his face he scoffs " ugh I don't know how you still have these teeth! I am surprised the haven't just popped right out! How could you allow them to get this bad?!?" I was mortified! Then he proceeds to tell me that he can do nothing more for me that I would need to go to a periodontist. Then he dismissed me and would not allow a cleaning either! I left in tears! I have a full mouth of cavity free teeth! Yes the receding is really bad on the 2 bottom front teeth but that's it! I actually get complemented on my beautiful smile all the time so I know that he has seen way worse! I was so upset and didn't know what I was suppose to do to fix it!
Flash forward 7 years... Today I finally went back to a dentist knowing that the 2 front teeth that had given me such a problem for so long were probably going to be unsalvageable... The hygienist looked and confirmed my suspension but for the first time someone actually explained what the next steps were and what to do in the mean time. Then she cleaned the rest of my teeth! She was extremely nice she could tell I was extremely anxious and she walked me through it and comforted me when she could see I almost couldn't take it anymore!
Then it was time to see the dentist! This is were I lost it and need help adjusting to the news I received! So again another very wonderful dentist she look at the xrays and the chart and informed me that I had lost over 80% of bone in 4 of the front bottom teeth and as much as she hates taking teeth she honestly could not save them! She explained that she would need to extract all 4 then I would be able to have a partial that same day so I would not have to go without teeth!
Now as much as that comforted my worst fear of not having my 2front teeth while I waited for partials I now found out that it would be 4 teeth!!!! It took everything I had not to burst into tears right there!!!! My fears were coming true I am losing my teeth! And I am only 33 and I have tried so hard to take good care of my teeth!!! What am I going to do? I am freaking out about this whole process! Having to get teeth pulled getting partials!!! I want to just never go back but I know that is not an option and that I allowed my fears to win for way to long and that is one of the main reasons I am in this situation now!!!!

HELP SOMEONE I AM FREAKING OUT!!!!!!

Hi!!

I was going through the posts (a tooth I'd been watching, just chipped and I already know what that spells etc) to calm some already rising fears and found your post.

I just wanted to reach through the screen and hug you!
:XXLhug:
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm so sorry that rotten dentist made you feel the way they did and wouldn't help you in your time of vulnerability and need.

I wish so much for you to receive not only the care you require, but in the manner in which you want it. You are definitely in my thoughts
:XXLhug::XXLhug::XXLhug:
!​

Hi scooter I know the post is a little old now. was wondering where you are on your journey now, I am having molds done for immediate dentures on Tuesday for 4 bottom front teeth, would love to hear how your journey has gone as i have similar fears to you

It might be possible to place implants at the same time of tooth removal and so you could leave with a temporary bridge. The best spot for that is the lower front teeth. Ask?

I have a lot of bone loss and also implants are way out of my price range

It might be possible to place implants at the same time of tooth removal and so you could leave with a temporary bridge. The best spot for that is the lower front teeth. Ask?

This is what I'm hoping for mine. I just found out I need a front tooth implant. I haven't had the tooth extracted yet ( it broke a long time ago and had a veneer, but then something happened again, not an infection). I haven't had my consultation yet as I have to wait almost 2 months for it here. But I'm of course googling my fingers off. I have seen cases of "immediate loading" and I hope I can be a candidate for that so bad :cry: . I am so afraid. Of going thru this for months and months. But I'm not sure if they even offer that method here. I know they do in a larger city near me. But idk if I should just wait for the maxillofacial surgeon my dentist auto-referred me to, of shop around myself. I have so little trust for any of these people that I'm afraid of falling for something said to be quicker, only to have them hurt me and have it fail.

hello!

I lost my two front teeth in an accident as well and I was devastated to find out that I had to get partials done. I was only 19 at that time! however, I was more worried about having to go without teeth, so I just sucked it up and went through it! It took me some time getting used to the partials but afterwards I could speak and eat normally! It will turn out fine!

Back