• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Indecisiveness and Anxiety

  • Thread starter Thread starter citrustwist
  • Start date Start date
C

citrustwist

Junior member
Joined
Feb 14, 2025
Messages
6
Location
USA
I currently have a molar that had a root canal treatment twice and my gut feeling just tells me it's not right sitting in my mouth. I have another molar with a filling redone after the tooth broke off after an old first filling, which also never settled and cannot chew on without pain even after filing down twice in case of a high bite.

Does anyone else struggle with making decisions about their teeth? I've been unable to eat for around two or three years because I couldn't get myself to go back to the dentist to sort these teeth out. Right now I honestly just want to extract both of them, as I do not want to attempt another root canal on the filling tooth after getting one done twice and it failing(?). But I keep hesitating because pulling teeth feels so extreme and final. I just dont want to make a decision that i'll regret.

I also keep fearing that the dentist will refuse to pull my teeth, because there's still other options and I'm still young. Whatever comes after also scares me, like implants or shifting causing problems.

Can anyone empathize with me? :cry: I've been wasting my life for years because of my teeth and my anxiety and indecisiveness about them.
 
Hi citrustwist :welcome:,

I totally hear you on struggling with decisions about teeth. I guess it is about that nobody can give your guarantees and you never know what the actual outcome will be. I would not feel like having a third canal either and I would be surprised iff a dentist suggested that. It makes so much sense to me that you would want that tooth out. Also, rct is so expensive and so extensive - who would want to repeat that if it failed twice.

What helps me is to think ahead - discussing what would happen if the teeth were gone, what are the options to replace them and do they need to get replaced. It may make the removal less final. Also, thinking about options may be a part of the decision process and it is okay for it to take some time.
 
Hi citrustwist :welcome:,

I totally hear you on struggling with decisions about teeth. I guess it is about that nobody can give your guarantees and you never know what the actual outcome will be. I would not feel like having a third canal either and I would be surprised iff a dentist suggested that. It makes so much sense to me that you would want that tooth out. Also, rct is so expensive and so extensive - who would want to repeat that if it failed twice.

What helps me is to think ahead - discussing what would happen if the teeth were gone, what are the options to replace them and do they need to get replaced. It may make the removal less final. Also, thinking about options may be a part of the decision process and it is okay for it to take some time.
Thanks for your thoughts, I'm glad to read that maybe me feeling like another root canal is not the choice to make isn't so odd.

I know that I should get the procedures settled and done with, but I keep stalling it. It doesn't help that my past experiences with the dentist were honestly sort of traumatic. It's one thing to be anxious when things haven't gone wrong before, vs being anxious because you know from experience what it's like/what it could be like when things do go wrong at the dentist.

I wish I could muster up the courage. I know no one can make my decisions for me, and only I can control how I respond and handle my dental anxiety but it's hard to beat my instinctual responses with logical thinking. :cry:
 
Hi citrustwist,

I just want to say that I can relate to what you are going through because I am in a similar situation. I had a molar root-canaled a very long time ago. Then I had that same molar re-treated (I guess like a 2nd root canal on the same tooth) at an endodontist's office 3 years ago. Ever since then, that molar has never felt right. The endodontist who re-treated it was cold and dismissive of my concerns when I told him it doesn't feel right. He basically told me "Oh well, I guess you'll need to have the tooth pulled then."

I've been hesitating on getting the tooth pulled, because like you said, it feels so final. I'm also scared of what might happen after.. like teeth shifting or other issues. I also have some concerns about having it pulled because I have a low sinus cavity, and my roots are close to that sinus cavity. I've gone to other dentists to get their opinions but I still have no clear answers about what I should do. My x-rays look normal, but there is pain on-and-off and the tooth just doesn't feel right.

I've been living in this state of indecision and anxiety for 3 years. It's hard to be fully present with family and friends and focus on my work because this anxiety and uncertainty about what to do is constantly on my mind.

All this is to say that I can relate and empathize with you. I feel like I've been stuck for years because of my tooth situation, the anxiety, and indecision.

I hope we can both resolve these teeth issues quickly and move on to brighter days.
 
@NervousWreck2 I'm really sorry to hear you're going through the same things as I am, but also it does bring me a little bit of comfort to hear I am not alone! I also had pretty mean dentists that added to my dental anxiety as well as dentists who never gave me satisfactory answers, only vague ones, so I feel you.

I actually thought I was tired enough of living like this and was going to call the dentist for just extracting the teeth about a month ago sometime in July, but like always I got cold feet and ended up never making the call. So here I still am. I definitely have had my life on pause this whole time, and I've become quite depressed.

I also hope you'll find a resolution and get some peace of mind. (I'd be very interested to hear whatever decision you make in the future about your teeth if you do do so.) :clover:
 
Back
Top