• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infection after wizzie extraction - why??

N

nikkistar

Yikes! My sockets got infected! What gives?

I'm 27 and had all four wizzies extracted last week week. The surgeon warned that the left-side gave them trouble so expect swelling. A week later I was in agony and my jaw was clenched shut.

I returned to the surgeon and after cranking my jaw open he used the irrigation syringe to clean out the holes on that left-side. A LOT of gross stuff came out and he said I had developed an infection (despite being on penicillin). Stronger antibiotics were prescribed.

My question is - WHY DID I GET AN INFECTION?? :o The surgeon said this is uncommon but didn't give me an explanation why! Any advice you can give on the cause of infections would be greatly appreciated.

If you'll forgive the language, it's because sh*t happens, basically :)

Probably you were unlucky enough that a small piece of food worked it's way deep into the extraction socket, lodged there and provided a locus for infection to start.

I take it you were rinsing as instructed, avoiding smoking and alcohol etc? Infected sockets are much more common in smokers.

Other than these things as Gordon says- it just happens sometimes, especilly if the procedure was quite difficult- as it sounds was the case here. The most important thing to do is follow their instructions and although you will feel a bit miserable right now- it will get better in time.

Thank you, that makes sense. My jaw was so swollen it was impossible to get the irrigator back there and, I probably rushed it on eating the spaghetti o's!

One follow-up question, about the irrigator. How can I tell if I've got it down far enough into the holes, and, could I cause damage by using it more than recommended? I was told to use it morning and night but would prefer to do it 3-4 times during the day, just in case I don't get it cleaned out on the other two tries!

ps - this website is awesome :thumbsup:

Back