• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Infection control advice wanted

D

DD1953

Just before Christmas I started to notice a problem with a upper molar, in which I have a filling, becoming suseptible to temperature. I also notice a slightly tender spot above my teeth. I went to the dentist who renewed the filling and got some antibiotics for the tenderness. The problem got worse after the antibiotics ran out and I went back and the dentist said I need a root canal as it has an infection in the gum. He did the root canal (one root), but didn't give me any more antibiotics. Within 48 hours I had an enourmous gum boil on the outside of my gum and a large swelling over half of my upper palette. It was excruciatingly painful. He lanced the gums and gave me antibiotics. Over the next two nights I ran a fever and sweated profusely in bed. After a further 2 days my whole mouth remains swollen and the tender area above the treated tooth appears to grown again to cover the teeth either side. I am not booked to go back until about 16 Feb. Is my recovery normal. Am I right to be concerned that all this ongoing infection could lead to other problems such as bone infection, loss of other teeth, or even blood poisoning. A friend said his dentist has him back 5 times for the tooth to be drained and temporarily refilled. I have not, the infected material is simply draining through the holes caused when the dentist lanced my gums, although these are now closing up slightly as they heal. My palette remain swollen. If feel as if the infection may be getting out of control.

I do not know if you could ask your doctor?

When i had a tooth infection and could not get antibiotics from my dentist, my doctor helped by prescribing some.

Hi Candy, I have antibiotics, but feel as if things are not moving along. I can't feel any improvement since I had the root canal done, in fact I feel worse.

Hi

In that case, I don't know much about antibiotics, but I do know that there are different types and that i have had the type i was taking changed when the first type showed no improvement, perhaps you could ask for a change of them?

This is not normal, go back to your dentist as soon as possible. You're not in any real risk of serious complications, but you shouldn't be in this much pain if the root canal has been successful.

Back