• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is 24 too young for dentures?

A

apendergrass23

I'm 24 going on 25...and I just recently gained health/dental insurance. I'm working on getting all my dental issues taken care of, but it's literally going to take me thousands of dollars. I've already had one tooth pulled (it needed a root canal, but it was a back tooth to I figured it wasn't worth it), a root canal, and 7 fillings so far. I still have 2 more root canals needed and probably about 8 more fillings. My dentist says that some of these fillings I've gotten could end up needing root canals later on. Not too mention my teeth are crooked, which makes me EXTREMELY self conscious about myself to the point that I cry because I hate having to smile on a day to day basis. Any who....is it even worth it try to get all this work that I need done (even though I really can't afford it)? Or should I try to find a dentist that would be willing to give me dentures? I just don't know what to do, and I'm so unhappy.

Yes...don't do it.

Oh my gosh PLEASE DO NOT have your teeth pulled. I also have a hard time believing there would be a dentist who would do it, because it's ethically wrong.
Listen I know things are depressing but I think you should take the time to read up on the difficult aspects of dentures. I also believe that your dentist is trying to be truly honest with you........any time you have a tooth worked on you never know for certain if it isn't going to end up needing a root canal. I have a child that had a small dental filling and 3 months later the tooth abcessed, the dentist said it was just bad luck. I honestly think you have a good shot of saving your teeth and maybe down the road when all the big stuff is taken care of you can use your dental insurance for something braces.

I think you should really do some research on dentures. Good luck, I know all of this can be daunting.

Once you loose your teeth you start losing the bone in that part of your face. The greatest lose happens the first two-three years but continues for the rest of your life. Do what you have to now and plan on an asertive prevention plan with your diet, hygiene, flouride use, and professional care

I'm no dentist, but I can tell you based off what I am currently experiencing that I would much rather be able to keep all my real teeth if at all possible. I'm also 24, nearing 25 and I sort of know how it is to be feeling way too young to have to deal with major dental problems.

My problem is regarding my very front(number 8) tooth which is now gone. I fell and injured the tooth when I was about 8 and I went around with a dead tooth for 15 years, and though it was unsightly (slightly off colored and remained crooked even after I'd had braces) looking back, I'd almost rather have that dead tooth back if I could.

Instead, I had to have it pulled a few months ago because it became severely infected and there was simply no way to save it. Once a tooth has been pulled, you begin to lose bone in that area of your face. Your gums will also recede. I am learning more about this now that I've actually had the tooth pulled. I've been reading and hearing from dentists that overtime I will lose quite a bit of bone in the front of my face (all from the loss of one tooth!) and this could cause me to age prematurely...my facial structure might change/begin to "collapse".

I've heard all sorts of stories about dentures. None of them very pleasant either. I guess they can be extremely uncomfortable, difficult to eat with and they certainly wont preserve the bone in your jaw/face. If you have all or many of your teeth pulled, you'll lose a ton of bone (unless you get implants, which would be very expensive)

..Maybe you'd be a good candidate for veneers. They'd probably be pretty expensive, but worth it. I am in the same situation financially. I'm trying to figure out how in the world I'm going to come up with about $4,000 for an implant and the bone grafting I'll need while I'm barely able to pay my rent and bills each month. I recently found a dentist willing to do a payment plan with me. Is your dentist willing to arrange one with you? If not you should search around for one that is.

Im 24 too and have no choice about having some false teeth really soon. I've been so scared of the dentist since I was 15 that 1/3 of my teeth are now broken beyond repair.

When I was told this after having to go to a new dentist with a pretty serious infection I was devastated and would do anything to go back 9 years and get over my fear before its become too late.

Im now waiting for a surgery appointment to have the rubbish teeth removed under sedation then will have to pay for dentures since implants are way out of my price bracket.

although I have come to terms with what im facing I would do anything to have more choices than I do and would really advise you to try getting all the treatments you need! If it comes to a couple of years time and you need root canals or a couple pulled then so be it but for now try and keep your own teeth!

I'm 24 going on 25...and I just recently gained health/dental insurance. I'm working on getting all my dental issues taken care of, but it's literally going to take me thousands of dollars. I've already had one tooth pulled (it needed a root canal, but it was a back tooth to I figured it wasn't worth it), a root canal, and 7 fillings so far. I still have 2 more root canals needed and probably about 8 more fillings. My dentist says that some of these fillings I've gotten could end up needing root canals later on. Not too mention my teeth are crooked, which makes me EXTREMELY self conscious about myself to the point that I cry because I hate having to smile on a day to day basis. Any who....is it even worth it try to get all this work that I need done (even though I really can't afford it)? Or should I try to find a dentist that would be willing to give me dentures? I just don't know what to do, and I'm so unhappy.

Im 25 and in the same boat. DO NOT DO IT. My dentist even told me to never pull out back teeth. My tooth needed a root canal and he did it and put me on a payment plan because HE DIDNT WANT ME TO LOSE IT. A GOOD dentist will NEVER want to pull ANY tooth out that can be saved and will work with you. There are plans if you are in the US called CARE CREDIT that u have 5 years to pay off dentist fees. CARECREDIT.COM

Also, I also have a DENTAL PLAN from DENTALSAVE.COM. See if your dentist is listed. Most are. It cost 90 bux a year, or 9 bucks a month. It gives you savings on mostly everything you can get. My 1000 root canal cost me 600 with this plan. My white fillings cost me 89 bux a tooth which this plan. I also have REG INSURANCE through my job that i bill for the cost also that gives me money back on everything I get done. So that 600 root canal only cost me 380 after i got some money back.

There are some options. Hope I helped a lil bit. Deff check out those websites if you live in the USA.

I was SCARED TO DEATH of dentists. And guess what. Once i found one i trusted and got one or 2 things done, I never was scared again. I fell asleep during my root canal. Dentists DO NOT HURT AT ALL. If you feel any pain and the dentist doesnt numb u up more, then find a new one cuz hes no good.

Take care and hope it works out

Try to keep your natural teeth as long as you can. I am now 54. I have some natural teeth left (not a lot) and partial dentures. I also used to be terrified of dentists.

Such sound advice from everyone. Get the worst of the dental treatment done then get your teeth braced. You'd be surprised how beautifully straight your teeth will be afterwards. My brother had crooked teeth as a youngster and got them braced. He's 60 now and still has lovely, straight teeth.

Of the denture side. I am getting on great with my partials (had them exactly one month today) so can only speak good of them. However, there are people who have problems all the time, sore spots and so on. I've been very lucky in that respect as I haven't had one sore spot at all and I'm now eating normal food very normally.

I wouldn't say 24 is too young for dentures. Many people even younger than you have them for a variety of reasons but your own teeth are still better. I wish you luck and hope you get everything sorted out.

Yes, my dentist does let you make payments, and I had to use care credit to pay for the root canal that I did have done. Problem is, I don't even have the extra cash every month to make payments. I've already made all tye budget cuts I can possibly pay the bills I currently have. I just feel like I'm struck between a rock and a hard place. It sucks! Thank you for all the feed back guys! I'm basically just gonna have to wait it out and stretch out what i need done really thin so I can somehow afford it. I will check out thqt website you mentioned. You can use it while having dental insurance?