• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is a crown really needed for a root canalled molar (which did not have any cavities) ?

A

augmentin123

Is a crown really needed for a root canalled molar (which did not have any cavities) ?

Hi - I got a RCT done on number 47 (second right mandibular molar) around 6 months back .. it has a permanent composite filling on the access opening since then. Now I am planning to get it crowned.

My question is that whether a crown is mandatory if the nerve had been infected due to a perio problem and not due to a cavity in the tooth? (there were never any cavities on the tooth in question here)

Also, for molars, is Zirconia the best option for crown?

Many thanks .. awaiting a quick response from the expert dentists here :)

Re: Is a crown really needed for a root canalled molar (which did not have any cavities) ?

If it were my tooth I would hope not to crown it and certainly not with zirconia
An onlay would be better and if the access cavity was small then a filling may be fine

Re: Is a crown really needed for a root canalled molar (which did not have any cavities) ?

If it were my tooth I would hope not to crown it and certainly not with zirconia
An onlay would be better and if the access cavity was small then a filling may be fine

Thanks for the response Dr Rob

I spoke to two prosthodontists here ( I am in India) .. and both say that onlay may work but can be risky in the long run. Here somehow most dentists follow the conservative approach and say that for a second molar ,crown is the recommended option regardless of how much tooth structure is still left :(

My main concern is that I dont want good tooth structure to be removed in order to accommodate the crown (since there were no cavities originally on this tooth and the RCT was done due to a primary perio and secondary endo problem I was told)

What would you suggest.. should I insist for an onlay ?

the conservative traditional approach would be a gold onlay. i would prefer this rather than a crown if possible

Hi,

It is difficult to advise without knowing more about the tooth's clinical situation.
The question is how much healthy tooth structure is remained after the root canal treatment.
Max scenario: the tooth was intact (not even a filling in it), so after the RCT a filling should be enough.
Min scenario: hardly any enamel is left after the RCT, than has to come a build up and a crown.
medium scenario: the tooth had a filling before the RCT and then an onlay is very reasonable.

Last edited:
Back