• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

is alveoloplasty necessary???

F

Freemont

Hello,

about 10 days ago I had all my top teeth extracted. I went in today for a checkup.
My dentist said I will need a alveolplasty in three areas.

Do I really need this? He says I will need it when I get top denture.

Can I wait it out and let the gums shrink naturally? I really don't want to
get this done. It was very traumatic already getting my top teeth taken out.
I have a lot of unfortunate things going on with my life right now, and i can't take more time off with this.

I'd rather spend months with no top teeth, then go through more pain.

Thank you

I’m no dentist, but I would say yes. They do this so that your dentures can fit nicely and comfortably.

Thanks for your reply.

I know why it's done. I'm asking if I wait long enough will it shrink naturally?

Maybe, or maybe not. There's also a question of whether the gums will shrink in the "correct" way, so you might still need the surgery later on.

I'm not convinced that doing it at the same time as the extractions will add anything onto the healing time, IME it doesn't. You'll also benefit from slightly better healing of the extraction sockets with the denture in place keeping food etc out of them.

At the end of the day, of course, it's your body and your decision, so good luck with whatever you decide.

Back