• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it common practice to use a blindfold during sedation treatment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fluffyjo
  • Start date Start date
Coming a bit late into this thread, honestly can't believe that anyone would do this to a patient... :O

We use protective specs over the patients eyes when we're working, since we do use some nasty pointy things and don't want them going in an eyeball (eek!) but nothing like a blindfold. Apart from anything else, I want to check the patient's consciousness level and can't do that if I can't see all their face...
 
Coming a bit late into this thread, honestly can't believe that anyone would do this to a patient... :O

We use protective specs over the patients eyes when we're working, since we do use some nasty pointy things and don't want them going in an eyeball (eek!) but nothing like a blindfold. Apart from anything else, I want to check the patient's consciousness level and can't do that if I can't see all their face...

As I understand it, this was an NHS £45 referral for sedation - does this behaviour break guidelines?
 
As I understand it, this was an NHS £45 referral for sedation - does this behaviour break guidelines?

Pushing things a bit regarding monitoring the sedation level, but the practitioner could say that they were maintaining verbal communication throughout. Other than that, no, I don't think so.

Breaks several common sense guidelines though!
 
When i went back to the dentist for sedation again this monday i asked why they used a blindfold and they said because most dental phobics dont like to see whats going on. I'm wondering who they surveyed to say "most" dental phobics. I asked that this time they didn't use it and they didn't. It was a pretty harrowing experience however but i'll leave that information for my other thread in the support section.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top