• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it normal for floss to go this deep? Photos. Worried about periodontal disease

C

Charlotte3

The short version: I haven't been to the dentist is over 15 years. I have an appt. scheduled in a month. I recently learned about periodontal disease, pockets, and bone loss. I'm worried because over the years I haven been good about flossing and I've eaten a lot of sugar. Now I've been flossing like crazy and I'm worried that the fact that the floss goes all the way down to the bottom of my gum and tooth that that is an indication that I have periodontal pockets. I know in my other post an admin said that floss can go deep but I just can't get this out of my head!! I've watched flossing videos and I can't find good examples of the floss going this deep. PLEASE tell me - is it normal for the floss to go this deep? I can pretty much get it all the way to the bottom of my tooth. I'm terrified. Thank you for your input.IMG_3023.jpegIMG_3024.jpegIMG_3026.jpegIMG_3027.jpegIMG_3023.jpegIMG_3024.jpegIMG_3026.jpegIMG_3027.jpeg

It doesn't look abnormally deep but you should not be using floss until you've been shown how to do it properly. Some people use it like a cheese cutter where it can be damaging. Switch to TePe brushes which are far harder to misuse.
Periodontal disease can't be diagnosed from a few photos of floss in situ, it needs x-rays and a physical exam.

@Gordon thank you for your input. I've watched a lot of videos by dentists on how to floss properly - gentle "sawing" motion into the teeth then shape the floss like a "c" curving up the tooth.

I have a dentist appt scheduled already in a month including X-rays and full exam - they can't get me in any sooner. So I'm spiraling and really believe that I probably do have periodontal disease with how many years I went without a dentist. I had only heard of gingivitis (my gums don't bleed and aren't inflamed or hurt from what I can tell) before but hadn't heard of periodontitis and how it can be "silent." I always brush but only flossed occasionally and improperly. And ate a lot of sugar. I can't stop looking at my teeth and googling all the worst case scenarios. I sob everyday out of fear and can barely focus on work. I think I have a thin tissue type too which has caused some receding.

Anyway thanks for your input. I think there is nothing that can stop this perseverating and overwhelming fear. Unfortunately I think the appt will only make it worse because I'm positive that it will be everything that I fear and that I won't be able to afford the treatments (I live in the US).

Thanks again

@Gordon thank you for your input. I've watched a lot of videos by dentists on how to floss properly - gentle "sawing" motion into the teeth then shape the floss like a "c" curving up the tooth.
OK, if you must, just take it very gently and don't force the floss down into the gum space.

I have a dentist appt scheduled already in a month including X-rays and full exam - they can't get me in any sooner. So I'm spiraling and really believe that I probably do have periodontal disease with how many years I went without a dentist. I had only heard of gingivitis (my gums don't bleed and aren't inflamed or hurt from what I can tell) before but hadn't heard of periodontitis and how it can be "silent." I always brush but only flossed occasionally and improperly. And ate a lot of sugar. I can't stop looking at my teeth and googling all the worst case scenarios. I sob everyday out of fear and can barely focus on work. I think I have a thin tissue type too which has caused some receding.

Mind if I ask how old you are? Periodontal disease is a mainly a disorder of late middle age, it can become established earlier but it doesn't get to be a huge issue until at least the late 40s for most people. It's a very slow and insidious process.

If you don't have bleeding on brushing then you almost certainly don't have periodontal disease.

Eating sugar has absolutely no effect on periodontal disease. Smoking however is very very bad.

Anyway thanks for your input. I think there is nothing that can stop this perseverating and overwhelming fear. Unfortunately I think the appt will only make it worse because I'm positive that it will be everything that I fear and that I won't be able to afford the treatments (I live in the US).
I'll bet you a virtual coffee and cake that you'll be fine.

@Gordon well I’m 30 years old and have never smoked so I guess I’ve got that going for me! I just see stories online, including on this forum, of ppl getting diagnosed with periodontal disease even in their 20s and 30s. Of course, I don’t know if these people smoke or not.

Hoping you’re right! Really. I’ll be jumping with joy if I just have cavities. I’d even take needing a root canal, heck several root canals, over periodontal disease! I have banned myself from googling until my appt.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me and others on this site. It really helps!

@Gordon Well, you were right!! I don't have periodontal disease or even gingivitis. I shockingly also don't even have any cavities! Everything that looked bad about my teeth was just staining from all my tea drinking and they were able to clean it all up! Other than that - no issues!! Everyone at the dentist office was amazing and I ended up having a very positive experience. Just need to go back in 6 months for a regular cleaning. I'm shocked!! Thank you again for calming my fears in the mean time. I would have gone absolutely crazy perseverating about this.

Good news, thank you for following up with us.

Back