• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is,it possible to have an allergy to Listerine

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stupiddentalfear
  • Start date Start date
S

Stupiddentalfear

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 6, 2015
Messages
143
Location
North Wales, UK
Hi there,

In short, I can only use Listerine for a short period of time. After 4/5 days of use I seem to experience extreme burning. When I use it after the four or five days I can barely hold it in my mouth. It makes my eyes run due to the burning pain. The day before I usually experience what I would say is excessive shedding (which is sore) of the inside lining of my mouth and I get a really painful tongue.

Does anyone else experience this?
 
I think this is a common problem with toothpastes containing alcohol. They burn and sting bad!!! When we were younger we used to have contests with each other to see who could hold the mouthwash in our mouth the longest. When I use Listerine I have to mix it with water 50/50 or else I use a non alcohol mouthwash.

Not sure about the shedding. I have a friend who had this problem with a certain toothpaste. Her denstist said it was because of the tartare preventative added to the toothpaste.

Sharon
 
Yes, my gums "shed" as well when I use Listerine. This shedding is called "mucosal sloughing" and can happen when we eat something spicy, hot, ect. Listerine has a lot of alcohol in it and most likely is just causing your gums to be irritated. Listerine makes a mouthwash without alcohol in it. If that still causes problems, switch to crest pro health alcohol free. If that still makes your gums shed, then I'd look into a mint allergy (fairly common)

Feel better

Kolya RDH
 
Back
Top