• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is IV sedation necessary for wisdom teeth extraction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter xKansan
  • Start date Start date
X

xKansan

Junior member
Joined
Jun 18, 2012
Messages
5
Hi, I'm a total noob here and I posted this in the support forum, I didn't realize that this is probably a much better place to ask it. Sorry!

I'm 17, and I think that I'm getting all 4 out. I think that at least 1 is impacted, also. They said that they're going to use conscious sedation (IV sedation) on me, which worries me a little bit. I am completely unafraid of dental work itself, but I am horribly scared of sedation/anesthesia. I've been given general anesthesia once, and it was the absolute most miserable moments of my life when I was getting put under. I want to avoid any kind of non-local anesthesia at all costs.

My question is, is it absolutely necessary that I be sedated during the procedure, or could it just as easily be done with local only? From people who've had their wisdoms pulled with only local, the only bad part was the sounds of teeth cracking and stuff like that. However, that seriously doesn't bother me- a couple years ago, I had a phrenectomy (removal of a muscley thing in my gums) with only local anesthesia, and I could not have been less nervous while the guy was ripping out a muscle thing in my gums.

So, should I request to be unsedated? I am significantly more anxious about the sedation than the teeth, which seems counterproductive...

Also, about how long will it take? If it's upwards of an hour, I'll probably just let the amnesia do its magic, but if it's closer to 20 minutes, I just want to be numb. And will I be aware of the fact high as a kite, or will it be like I time traveled to the end of the procedure? I hate dissociative feelings (I can barely stand Nyquil!), and I cannot imagine feeling semi unconscious for a significant period of time.
 
I got 4 wisdom teeth out, one of which was impacted and it took about an hour but it really depends on the position of your teeth. The thing with IV is that it makes you relaxed. So when I noticed it kicking in I didn't really care. It was like 'I feel like I'm floating...cool' and then I was time-traveled to the end and have no other memories. Also afterwards I felt fine but knew I was a bit wobbly on my feet. One of the nurses got me to hold onto the receptionist desk while my boyfriend was paying and I remember thinking 'this isn't necessary' and I walked to the car fine too but obviously I wouldn't have wanted to do much else.

I think its perfectly possible for you to have the wisdom teeth out without IV, I've read lots of sucess stories where people have had it done but I guess it does depend exactly what the teeth are like. My fears were the oposite to yours, I was terrified of the teeth but had no fear of the IV (I'd had it before) so you should just go with what you think best for you and find a dentist who can help with that. Good luck.
 
My husband had all 4 out with just the LA. He said it was it went okay for him. Me? Oh no, I wanted to know nothing, feel nothing, and remember nothing so I took the IV.
 
I had all 4 of mine out with LA. 2 were impacted and the first oral surgeon was totally incompetent so I was only able to get 3 out the first time and had to go back (to a different oral surgeon) for the 4th. I am also terrified of IV sedation (I'm fearful of going to the dentist in general, but even more so of the thought of not being in total control) and, even though I am very difficult to get numb (making the extractions of both impacted wisdom teeth quite uncomfortable) I still would not have chosen IV sedation. In terms of time, it really depends. For the 3 that are not impacted, the extractions should be very quick -- I think it took less than 10 mins to take out the 2 of mine that were not impacted. You're also young which means that, even for the 1 that is impacted, the process should be pretty quick b/c the roots are not as tough -- the oral surgeon should be able to tell you more about how difficult s/he thinks the extraction will be. If you know that you can be effectively numbed with LA, you won't feel anything. Like you said, you will hear strange noises and you will feel a lot of pressure, but you won't feel any pain.

Not all oral surgeons are willing to do wisdom tooth extractions with just LA, so you may have to ask around to find one who is willing.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!
 
Back
Top