• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Oral surgery -- is sedation necessary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nefarious
  • Start date Start date
N

nefarious

Junior member
Joined
Aug 19, 2009
Messages
1
Hello all.

I'm having oral surgery on Thursday to remove a piece of root ("retained root") that was left in after a lower-right first molar extraction done a while back.

The oral surgeon I'm seeing offers local anesthesia, local accompanied with nitrous oxide, and local accompanied with IV sedation.

To be honest, I've had a lot of dental work done in my life and wouldn't call myself a "dental phobic" -- BUT, oral surgery does frighten me. It's mainly having my gum tissue cut open that bothers me most, and the possibility that I will experience pain or discomfort despite the novocaine. At the same time, I'm also afraid of sedation! I would prefer to be fully aware of what's happening to me. So I've just been debating which route I should take.

I've also heard of people having their wisdom teeth taken with only local, but I don't know if my surgery is comparable to that.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Have you asked about oral sedation? You would need someone to drive you but there is a good chance you'll be fully awake during the procedure like I was.

nosmokin2
 
Yes taking some oral anti-anxiety medication is certainly a good possibility. I was awake all the time too, just calm. But I'm pretty sure that you will be totally numb all the time so there's really no reason to worry. Sedation isn't necessary, I believe you can do fine with LA only.
 
lots of people have dental implants with only local and the gum's cut open to do that. i think IV and so on are best if you're especially nervous but if you're not typically phobic you'll no doubt be fine with just local.
 
Back
Top