• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is sedation necessary for wisdom teeth under gum

  • Thread starter Thread starter Horizon
  • Start date Start date
H

Horizon

Junior member
Joined
Oct 5, 2010
Messages
15
Location
England
OK, I have a wisdom tooth which is impacted and hasn't come through. There's a small split in the gum and you can just see a tiny bit of the tooth through the split. I'm scheduled to have it extracted by an oral surgeon next week with LA and IV sedation. My question is... is IV sedation really necessary? The more I learn about being pumped with midalozam the less I like the sound of it. In fact, reading the advice on this site I am scared about losing control and memory loss of the event. I reckon I could just about tough it out with LA and possibly nitrous oxide. Is this realistic, or for an impacted wisdom tooth, close to nerve and under gum, is sedation a better option?
 
Personally I would IV Sedation for absolutey anything and everything. I often wish if I need a load of work done, give me the midazolam and take whatever time he needs to do the lot, even if its for the day. The bonus of loss of memory is the big attraction of IV.

But IV isn't for everyone and I can understand anyone with 'loss of control' issues. At the end of the day, its your treatment and your arm/hand. If you don't want IV, then refuse to have it. There are alternatives where you can be totally relaxed and still 'in control' and aware, such as nitrous and/or oral medication. If you the dentist insists on IV, then walk away and find another dentist.
 
I would be interested in hearing answers to this as well. I think Stressdoc said he had his wisdom teeth extracted with only locals and gas. He said he felt no pain during the extraction but i'm sure there are probably noises and strange sensations.
 
I think it depends on how you handle dental treatment generally. If you are the sort of person who really isn't bothered, and is happy to sit there and let them get on with it (properly numbed of course) then you might well be able to tolerate it. Some people do exactly that, but as Tabatha7 said, there will be a number of interesting noises and sensations ! :whistle:

So, unless you're fairly certain, stick with the IV sedation. Nowadays I tolerate dental work fairly well, but if ever I have to have my remaining (lower) wizzie removed I'd be very tempted to be sedated - especially as the visiting OS at my dentist's surgery seems to use IV sedation routinely.

John
 
Thanks for the replies. The surgeon recommended I go for the conscious sedation based on it being quite an 'invasive' procedure. She told me it would be like 'having a few drinks' which is fine by me, but every account I seem to read says that it makes you go to sleep, which sounds like general anaesthetic, so I'm confused. If I could be awake (but kind of drunk) then that would be great!
 
As a veteran of several IV sessions I can describe exactly what its like. It is not a General. You are not put to sleep. You are awake and responsive. However, you will not remember any of it. Its a pinch in the back of the hand, count to ten everything's done. No feelings, so sensations or memory of the whole thing. When you come round, you will feel tired and a bit 'wiped out', and maybe a little drunk and you will want to go home and sleep it off.

For me, its a fantastic way to have extractions.
 
Must say I'm coming round to the IV idea, especially when such surgery used to be carried out under general. It can't be that nice to be fully awake.

GrahamDee - I'm glad to hear that conscious sedation works so well for you. If I'm understanding you right, I'll be awake and responsive during the surgery, but how can that be, when you count to ten and you're out of it? When does the memory loss kick in?

Also - do they give you a shot in the hand and thats it, or do they keep pumping you full of the drugs until the procedure is over?
 
Must say I'm coming round to the IV idea, especially when such surgery used to be carried out under general. It can't be that nice to be fully awake.

GrahamDee - I'm glad to hear that conscious sedation works so well for you. If I'm understanding you right, I'll be awake and responsive during the surgery, but how can that be, when you count to ten and you're out of it? When does the memory loss kick in?

Also - do they give you a shot in the hand and thats it, or do they keep pumping you full of the drugs until the procedure is over?


Thats the magic of IV Sedation. It relaxes you and switches off your memory for the duration. You are 'awake', but you will not remember any of it. Basically what happens is a cannula is put into your hand (could also be inside of elbow) and they give you the 'stuff', a few seconds later you feel a bit strange (not unpleasent) and then suddenly a few hours have passed, dental work done. You will have had a few LA's, because you are still responsive to pain, but there is this gap in your life where a few hours have suddenly disappeared.

The idea of the cannula is so they can keep you topped up with 'stuff' with the right dose until everything is done. Then its time to go home and have a nap.

IV totally rocks. Its the way to have dental surgery. I am hopelessly phobic when it comes to extractions. IV has changed my life.
 
Well tomorrow is the day! I've decided to stick with the IV sedation. I'm just hoping that the stress from the anticipation and constant thinking about it will be worse than the actual procedure itself!
 
I feel certain that will be the case. Keep us posted.
 
The absolute WORST EVER thing about IV Sedation (and I am being 500% truthful here) is......the waiting for it.

Once you are in the chair, its basically all downhill from there. Getting into the surgery, sitting waiting for your name to be called, the anticipation and the fear of the unknown, are all the bad things about having an IV. I know - I have been in that exact place.

But once you have that little pinch in your hand (and it is only a tiny pinch) is a case of count to ten, then suddenly find it all done and over with.

Its awesome fantastic way to get dental work done.

You will do great. Promise.
 
Well... I did it. IV sedation is some gooood stuff! Here's my story of 1 impacted lower wisdom tooth under the gum removed under IV sedation in the UK.

I arrived on time for my appointment but was kept waiting for 50 minutes, which didn't exactly help with my anxiety. When I got into the chair they took my blood pressure and it was sky high - the surgeon seemed taken aback. They then placed a pulse monitor clip on one of my fingers and I could hear my pulse beeping away. Anyway, i tried to relax as they then tried to find a vein. Unfortunately they couldn't get one in my hand so had to go for the inside of my elbow instead and they found a vein there really quickly. I was looking the opposite way with my eyes closed. I'm not afraid of needles but don't really like watching and was trying to relax by closing my eyes. However, the surgeon asked me to open my eyes and look straight up at the ceiling. She said that looking into the eyes is one of the measures she uses to judge how sedated a patient is. After that, she began to administer the midazolam into the cannula on my arm. By the way, I had the protective glasses on - there was no mention of blindfolds like I've read elsewhere on this forum.

She said to me at this point that sedation would be a gradual process. A few seconds passed and she asked how I felt. At that point I felt no effects and I replied that I felt fine. That is my last memory of before the operation. There was no feeling drowsy, no feeling sleepy, no drifting off, nothing.

The next thing I remember was hearing the surgeon say 'I'm just putting the stitches in now' and then I remember standing up and getting out of the chair. I remember nothing at all of the LA being injected or the tooth coming out or the stitches. I was slightly unsteady on my feet but ok to walk. The assistant told me that they'd had to break the tooth into several pieces to get it out, and that it had been a bit tricky so I should expect a lot of swelling.

I was still bleeding and biting down on some gauze and after a few minutes of sitting down they sent me on my way with my escort. At this point I was ecstatic that it was over and that my mind was ok from the sedation.

Unfortunately, the bleeding didn't stop and hours later I was panicing as the LA wore off and I was in pain, even though I'd taken the painkillers they'd prescribed. To make matters worse, one of the stitches fell out. i think this was due to it not being stitched in very well and all of the biting down on gauze that I'd been doing to try and stop the bleeding. I went to bed and luckily most of the bleeding stopped overnight though I still had a little the next day.

I went back and had it checked the next day and the surgeon said there was no need to put the stitch back in as it had started to heal over. So I now have just 1 stitch in. The swelling came up really big on days 2 and 3 and is now starting to subside (day 5). I'm still on a diet of soft foods as I can't chew much without pain/discomfort. What feels weird is that my 'bite' seems to be a bit different, like the molar next to the removed tooth has moved a bit and isn't quite making the correct contact with the tooth above but I guess I'll just wait till it's fully healed and see what its like then.
 
Back
Top