• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is there meant to be plaster around my immediate dentures?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sammy7827
  • Start date Start date
S

Sammy7827

Junior member
Joined
Dec 8, 2015
Messages
4
Location
UK
Hi, I'm having almost all my teeth extracted on Friday (trying not to panic too much... :() I was just looking at my immediate dentures that I picked up a few weeks ago (they've been hidden until now!) and the plaster that they are in is going moldy. They came attached so I just presumed that's what they are meant to be like before they are fitted, and I didn't get told anything, e.g. let them air, and I'm now worried that they were never meant to be in plaster once I had them! :/ Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thank you in advance!
 
Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I am not sure what has happened and I don't know if you should have left your dentures in plaster or not. The best thing to do is to ring the dentist and explain to them and see what they advise.

In the meantime you could take them out of the plastic and get some steradent tablets and put the dentures in a container with some water in and drop a tablet in. Also get some denture paste which is a toothpaste for dentures and give them a brush too. You will need these things after the teeth are extracted so you can carry on using the products you buy after. Once you are sure the teeth have no mould on keep them in clear water, change it daily, until you need the dentures.

I am not a dentist and I think it would be best to contact your dentist but what I have said can't do any harm if you follow it. The plaster cast I would just keep in a bag and ask the dentist if you need it. I suspect that you don't.

All the best for your appointment :butterfly:
 
Thank you so much for your reply! I did try ringing multiple times today with no answer, but will try again in the morning. They've left me feeling very unprepared really. I have a million questions and I'm not having a pre-op (I'm being fully put to sleep), and when I ring to ask advice they don't answer! :/ This forum has been helping a lot though thankfully!
 
How the heck are you suppose to know what to do when you are handed a denture in plaster and then can't contact anyone before the procedure.

If you have no luck with contacting them beforehand then follow the advice I gave you as it cannot do any harm to your dentures.

Also if you are to be asleep you need to know how to deal with your mouth after the procedure. We are always here and will help as much as we can. The place doing the extractions should be helping you more.

I wish you all the best for your appointment :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly::butterfly:
 
Thank you for your support! I thankfully managed to get through to them today and I'm feeling a bit less panicky. She said they will remove the plaster and sterilise them while the procedure is being done. She also answered a few of my other questions and said my partner should be okay to wait with me in the day case unit before I go down *phew*
I can't believe I only have 1 full day left before surgery... It has come around so quickly, yet I feel like I've been waiting for ages at the same time!
I'm not expecting to be able to eat Christmas lunch - or anything much at all (there's going to be 2 weeks exactly), but I just hope I'm not going to be in too much pain. :(
 
I am really glad that you managed to get in touch with them. Good job you didn't have to follow what I said although I still think it wouldn't have done any harm but it is best that things are left to the professionals. They really should have explained when you were given the teeth.

Any way alls well that ends well and now you know. I am also pleased for you that they were able to put your mind at rest a bit on some other things as well.

You will get sore spots from wearing the dentures and you need to know what to do to deal with these over the holidays when they aren't open, you also need to know where you go for adjustments for the sore spots.

I don't know what you will be eating at christmas, I hope whatever it is is nice and tasty. I am putting you a couple of links here with some ideas on what to eat after extractions. The soft foods cook book link was started and written mostly by a lady that had here teeth our and had full dentures so that may be the most helpful in your situation.



All the best to you for Friday, let us know how you get on when you feel up to it please :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:
 
Thank you again for your lovely reply :) Surgery went fairly well, I was in longer than planned but was discharged quite quickly. I'm swollen and sore but doing okay so far and bleeding seems to have mostly stopped. One thing I'm most worried about now is when I asked when I need to go in for an adjustment to stop the sore spots she said it won't be for a few weeks, and even then it's dependent on her schedule!! I then asked whether after taking it out at night would the swelling get worse if I sleep a long time, and she said I won't have swelling after the first night... :( She's not my normal dentist, I got referred to her by my normal one, she's a specialist in the hospital. I have no idea whether I contact her if I need help or my usual dentist, and I'm feeling a little stranded! :dunno:
 
I would ring your dentists office and explain what the dentist said that removed your teeth and ask them if you can go and see them. If not ring the office of the dentist that removed the teeth and ask them. This is part of the service provided that you have paid for, it is just standard aftercare.
I think I read that comfortdentist tests the patients mouth with something and he removes the potential spots that would cause sore spots in his patients so that they don't get any. Maybe the person that removed your teeth has done the same.

I would be surprised if it was weeks before you got sore spots, I got some within days and they hurt. It is so simple for the dentists to smooth these spots out. They just rub the denture and smooth it for you they don't need to do anything to your mouth.

I don't know about the swelling as I have only one tooth on my bottom partial. Hopefully someone will come along that has had the same as you to give you some information.

If you do have any questions or queries I would contact the hospital first and see what they say.

I am pleased that it went well for you and that you aren't feeling too bad. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::hug5: If you click on the LINKS tab at the top of the page there is a part named dentures information and support it might be worth a read.

The gums should be fine when you have taken the teeth out overnight as it allows them to have a rest.

All the best to you :hug::hug::hug: I am sure we will all try and help you with any queries you may have as you progress in your healing. :butterfly:
 
Back
Top