• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is this a hint to avoid my new dentist?

  • Thread starter Thread starter merlin
  • Start date Start date
M

merlin

Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2010
Messages
29
Location
UK
I have recently discovered on going to the dentist that I need three fillings.

My new dentist gave me a quick 15 minute inspection, and noticing I'm nervous said,

"You're not the first nervous patient we've had" and "We'll do what we can to make your experience as painfree and comfortable as possible".

I told him that all I'm worried about is the injections, due to a bad experience from an injection into my cheek as a child, he said (kind of shrugging his shoulders),

"Yeah, I won't lie, it hurts a bit but only for a few seconds. I actually have trouble with the injections in my arm, that really freaks me out".

I mentioned the experience as a kid resulted in swelling and bruising of my cheek for several days and his reply was,

"That does happen sometimes, unavoidable".

I'm not sure what to think - should I find another dentist to do the treatment (does this require me to pay for another check-up)? Is this dentist just being cautious "it hurts a bit" means "you feel something"?

I really don't want another bad experience - I was a nervous wreck just getting the check-up. I'm good with injections and needles generally (I give blood) so I hope it should be relatively easy, with a good experience, to get rid of my fear of the dentist.

Thanks.
 
Only you can decide that. It comes down to establishing a relationship of trust. If you don't have faith in him/her it will make you more nervous, which can make the experience less comfortable. Sounds like your dentist is not a good communicator with your specific fears, offering little reassurance of painfree treatment. It doesn't mean they are a bad dentist just not a good match for your needs.

You don't have to let anyone work on your teeth- get another consult, visit another practice then decide- find one who you feels is there to help you and not hurt you. If he sets an expectation you will feel something, you probably will and it would be very difficult to relax anticipating pain.

rp
 
The fuller explanation you've given here of the conversation actually sounds less scary than the one on the other thread.
Context is everything...he said he'd do all he could to make it as painfree and comfortable 'as possible' which you didn't mention before. However for me 'as possible' is not words I want to hear as a person's understanding of as 'comfortable as possible' is going to equate to their own skill level of providing comfort which may not be up to my standards!

Could you ask another patient about their experience?

I still think it's a bit weird to stress the bruising...I've never been bruised by a dental injection. Is he newly-qualified? He's actually tried to empathise quite a bit but not quite got the reassurance message through, has clouded it somewhat.

I'm guessing here but needle phobics (which he has claimed he is re arms - may not be true) probably don't give the best injections because they don't really believe it can be done comfortably and just want to get it over asap.
 
He just didn't instill confidence in me, and seemed to be moving very quickly. Nobody I know has had treatment from this place (but it is the university health centre). I'm not sure it is fair to name the place here, since my fears might be unfounded.
 
If you didn't warm to him and he seemed rushed I wouldn't pay private rates for composite fillings (as mentioned on other thread) - get a 100% private dentist who is unrushed to do them - they are much more technique sensitive than amalgams.
 
Back
Top