• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is This Helping Or Making Things Worse!!

L

lost221

Hi everyone, my name is Tracy and I have periodontal disease..I've been through alot this winter, two extractions, five fillings and now I'm all set and scheduled for four quad deep cleaning appointments..But my question is I'm brushing, using my waterpik pik pocket flosser, cleaning my tounge, and using antiseptic mouthwash twice a day and is this helping or making it worse?? I know that things won't change drastically until I get the SRP treatment done but it would comfort me to know that I'm not making things worse faster. This disease really is awful and I wish I had of known what I know now back when I was a bit younger..But I'm trying as hard as I can to save my teeth and that's what I have to look at.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and God bless!
Tracy

Hi,

I can assure you you are not hurting your teeth (as long as you are not using too much forces when brushing).
The daily oral hygiene is mainly for prevention of new problems and it is also effective in slowing down advancement of small cavities.

Hi,

I can assure you you are not hurting your teeth (as long as you are not using too much forces when brushing).
The daily oral hygiene is mainly for prevention of new problems and it is also effective in slowing down advancement of small cavities.

Thank you so much Daniel! Do you think I have a chance of saving them once the deep cleaning is done?? I am so scared!! I don't wanna loose them all because of this! Thank you

From my experience, patients are often thinking their teeth are not treatable while it is not true.
Dentists tend to preserve teeth firstly because it is better, secondly because this is our dental training and thirdly because we earn more money from treating a tooth rather than extraction.

From my experience, patients are often thinking their teeth are not treatable while it is not true.
Dentists tend to preserve teeth firstly because it is better, secondly because this is our dental training and thirdly because we earn more money from treating a tooth rather than extraction.

Thank you so much for your help!! That is very true especially when like me suffer from fear and anxiety..Makes me feel like I'm a lost cause but I already have a good hygiene habit at home, twice a day no matter what and I am going to get the deep cleanings done within the next month..I am super hopeful I will get this under control so I have my smile for many more years..Thank you Daniel!

Also I was wondering in your experience does a deep cleaning cause looseness in teeth at all?? None of my teeth are loose and my dentist nor my hygenist said anything about them being loose or moving so than the deep cleaning shouldn't make them loose right? Thank you

No, cleaning will not loosen the teeth. The other way around.

No, cleaning will not loosen the teeth. The other way around.

Okay thank you so much!
I'm going to do my very best to get my mouth healthy again..I know the loss can't be recovered but I can get it stopped..God bless

Back