• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is this normal extraction pain?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MoonRabbit
  • Start date Start date
M

MoonRabbit

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2018
Messages
41
Location
Usa
I finally overcame my fear and saw a dentist for the first time since grade school. I needed to get my upper left molar extracted because it was infected and broken. When I got home from the appointment and the shots started wearing off I began to get severe pain in my jaw, ear and temple. I took tylenol and it really helped with the pain. The next day the pain was very tolerable until I started to eat a bowl of soup. Whenever I eat, the roof of my mouth hurts so bad. It feels like I'm getting that shot all over again. It's an intense burning feeling that turns into a throbbing pain. I had to stop eating and take a tylenol.

I'm really scared of getting dry socket and I'm following all the rules perfectly. But I'm at the point of wanting to give up on eating because it makes the pain flare up. Is this normal?
 
Hi MoonRabbit :welcome:,

first of all well done for overcoming your fear and finally having seen a dentist! Sorry to read how much pain you are in. As far as I know, painkillers should be able to take care of any pain after an extraction. If you suffer so much then that is a very good reason to let your dentist take a look. I am sure he wouldn't be happy if he knew you cannot eat! Just give them a call, they will be used to people coming back after procedures.

Sending you good vibes, may your pain be gone soon!
 
Thank you. The pain wasn't as bad today but my face has started to tingle a lot so I plan on giving my dentist a call in the morning.
 
I hope your dentist was able to give you some answers. When I had my upper 2nd molar extracted, I had quite a bit of pain the first three days. I also had difficulty eating for about three days. I had to stick with lukewarm soup and smoothies. It was pretty miserable, but after three days the pain decreased quite a bit.

Did you have stitches?
 
She said it was probably the location of the shot that was causing the issue. I needed 3 shots with 2 being in the same area since the infection was interfering. I can now feel a bump that is sore to touch which I'm guessing was causing the major flare up.

I don't have stitches. But I'm happy to report that everything seems to be settling down now. The tingling sensation in my face only lasted for a few hours and I can eat with very little pain.
 
She said it was probably the location of the shot that was causing the issue. I needed 3 shots with 2 being in the same area since the infection was interfering. I can now feel a bump that is sore to touch which I'm guessing was causing the major flare up.

I don't have stitches. But I'm happy to report that everything seems to be settling down now. The tingling sensation in my face only lasted for a few hours and I can eat with very little pain.

Good! Glad to hear you are able to eat again.
That shot in the palate is the worst! I had a root canal on my molar before extraction, and that palate shot was so sore for a week after.
 
Back
Top