• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is too much dental x-ray good for us? So worried about it. Apron not necessary for paranomic x-rays?

U

Useruser

Hi,
I just had few dental x-rays today and I am freaking out now.
I went to my dentist office last Wednesday for some issues and he did take an x-ray on that particular area. So it's just an x-ray for the lower left side.

I went back today for some urgent dental issue and the dentist took another x-ray today also. It's also on the same lower left side. Same as last week . The x-ray for 2 teeth. Within a week, I had taken 2 x-rays of same kind.
Today, he also wanted me to take a paranomic x-ray and I did take that to rule out if there is anything causing the issue. This is the first time I am taking the paranomic x-ray and haven't done that before. The staff asked me to remove my earrings and told me to put my face in there.

My concern is,
1. She didn't give me any apron for the paranomic x-ray and I also forgot to ask her. Just realised after coming back.
Is she forgot to give apron? Anyway, the body would have got some radiations right? I so scared if it cause any harm?
I am not pregnant. But she did give me apron for the small x-ray which she has taken when I was in the dental chair. The paranomic machine was in another room and she took me there and didn't give me any apron. The dentist office is closed now and I cannot call her and ask white she didn't give me apron. Also, I tried to close my eyes during the panaromic x-ray and may be I opened after few seconds. Does it do any harm to the eyes if open?
And without apron does it harm to the body and any harm to the Head/brain?

2. Whether too much dental x-rays within a short time is good for health? Does it harm?
I know these questions will be silly to some of you. But as a dental nervous patient and very naive on the dental stuff, these are running on my mind.
Please help if you have any inputs on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a dentist, but I have had a LOT of x rays in the past year, with two root canals, two apicoectomies, two extractions, and an implant. All of those required multiple x rays for diagnosis, treatment, and during and after procedures. I asked about it as well, and was told that the amount of radiation is minimal, but that they always weigh the need of the x ray for treatment and decide if it is necessary. The panoramic ones are very specific, and not much radiation is scattered. I have had four in the past year. Only one place had me wear a lead apron. The others did not.

One of the dentists can chime in on specifics, but from my experience dentists don't usually do more than necessary and you want to get enough of a picture to be able to spot problems and treat issues

I am not a dentist, but I have had a LOT of x rays in the past year, with two root canals, two apicoectomies, two extractions, and an implant. All of those required multiple x rays for diagnosis, treatment, and during and after procedures. I asked about it as well, and was told that the amount of radiation is minimal, but that they always weigh the need of the x ray for treatment and decide if it is necessary. The panoramic ones are very specific, and not much radiation is scattered. I have had four in the past year. Only one place had me wear a lead apron. The others did not.

One of the dentists can chime in on specifics, but from my experience dentists don't usually do more than necessary and you want to get enough of a picture to be able to spot problems and treat issues
Thank you so much for your reply. Appreciate it.

don't worry there is so very little scatter with a panoramic x-ray. When I first got mine i put up a dental film with a paperclip on it right by where it rotates and after a year you could barely see the paperclip when that x-ray was developed.

don't worry there is so very little scatter with a panoramic x-ray. When I first got mine i put up a dental film with a paperclip on it right by where it rotates and after a year you could barely see the paperclip when that x-ray was developed.
Thank you so much for your reply. It really ease my mind. Appreciate it.

There's a school of thought that lead aprons do more harm than good, they bounce x-rays back into the body rather than letting them out, so the overall exposure is higher.

Back