• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Worried I may have loosened stitches by eating too much!

N

nutfig

I finally had my wisdom tooth removed on October 26th, and it went great! You can read about it here:
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/showthread.php?40844-Another-wizzie-SUCCESS-story-if-I-can-do-it-anyone-can%21

The tooth was severely decayed, so it was easy to remove and didn't bleed much afterwards. I've only had some very minor soreness and haven't even had to take a pain pill. I have been following all of the oral surgeon's aftercare instructions including rinsing with a bit of salt water at night.

Tonight I had a little bit of a hamburger and some fries from a restaurant I had never before tried. As I ate, I noticed that my chewing caused a bit of pain in the stitches area. I probably should have stopped eating then but didn't (I knew that my love of food would probably cause me to literally bite off more than I can chew before my mouth had healed fully). But I figured since hamburgers and fries are soft foods I would be okay.

I took a nap, and now the pain around the stitched area is a bit stronger than it has been (a very dull ache, but it's not bad enough to make me want to take a pain pill).

I haven't noticed any bleeding or anything else but am very worried that I've inadvertently loosened my stitches and that they might fall out while I'm asleep tonight and I would bleed profusely or something. (I have OCD, anxiety, and hypochondria). Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated! So many people on this forum have been helping me out tremendously during this entire wisdom tooth ordeal:):XXLhug:

I finally had my wisdom tooth removed on October 26th, and it went great! You can read about it here:
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/showthread.php?40844-Another-wizzie-SUCCESS-story-if-I-can-do-it-anyone-can%21

The tooth was severely decayed, so it was easy to remove and didn't bleed much afterwards. I've only had some very minor soreness and haven't even had to take a pain pill. I have been following all of the oral surgeon's aftercare instructions including rinsing with a bit of salt water at night.

Tonight I had a little bit of a hamburger and some fries from a restaurant I had never before tried. As I ate, I noticed that my chewing caused a bit of pain in the stitches area. I probably should have stopped eating then but didn't (I knew that my love of food would probably cause me to literally bite off more than I can chew before my mouth had healed fully). But I figured since hamburgers and fries are soft foods I would be okay.

I took a nap, and now the pain around the stitched area is a bit stronger than it has been (a very dull ache, but it's not bad enough to make me want to take a pain pill).

I haven't noticed any bleeding or anything else but am very worried that I've inadvertently loosened my stitches and that they might fall out while I'm asleep tonight and I would bleed profusely or something. (I have OCD, anxiety, and hypochondria). Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated! So many people on this forum have been helping me out tremendously during this entire wisdom tooth ordeal:):XXLhug:

I had a lower molar extracted a little over two weeks ago. Day 3 was when my stitches started to loosen up, and I was only eating soft foods, not even chewing. I called in and the oral surgeon said it was normal. I also had pain every time the stitches loosened or fell out, which they said was also normal. My stitches came out all at different times, some at 5 days, some at 2 weeks. By the end of the first week, the stitches loosened enough that it opened up a hole, which grew as the stitches fell out. I wasn't expecting that, but apparently it was normal as well. The hole had a yellowish film in it. I have been in for my follow up and the oral surgeon said everything looked great.

Back