• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Issues with new partial denture - bit of immediate advice needed please

S

Suzannah99

Hi all,

I could use a bit of immediate advice - in case of emergency and until I hear from my dentist please. :)

I had my impressions before my extractions and only 2 weeks ago had my extractions and partial upper denture.
The following week I was back to get a proper clean up.

The dentist told me to avoid using any glue if possible and that I shouldn't need it.
I asked him at that clean up appointment how long it would be until I would need a re-line and he said about 2 years. I thought it would be a lot sooner than that having read up on new dentures.

The past 3 days I have had some issues where something seems to trigger them moving out of place to some degree. I had a really bad time yesterday with speech. I would be OK and then was 'whistling' through ch and sch sounds.
For about the past week I have also noticed they shift and feel like they will pop out when I smile and laugh.

I have mailed the dentist and asked what to do - especially considering he told me to avoid glue.
I've asked if I should use glue, try a reline kit, maybe just take them out and put them back in when this happens or pop in to see him.

In the meantime though I ended up getting some fixodent yesterday just in case but as my gums are still healing I'm not sure if this would be safe to use in the part of the denture where my gums sit?
My plate is pretty small and only goes back to the highest point of my upper palate and then cuddles each of my upper back teeth so I don't have a terrific amount of space to add glue.

I'm feeling a bit down about this - always had crooked and horrible front teeth and would cover my mouth with my hand and now I feel self conscious about something else and covering again. Up to just a few days ago the fit was great, eating speaking - all was going well (though I am not yet attempting to use the front teeth to bite with and didn't think I should for a couple of months due to healing.)
If it makes any difference I didn't have any stitches following the extractions.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, they ended up popping in and out pf place last night - not massively but enough so that I felt uncomfy and couldn't wait to take them out last night.

Hi there,
The dentures can be relined anytime as it is a small amount of acrylic added onto the denture. The best time to reline is about the 3 month stage when most of the gums and bones have fully healed. 2 years seems an awful long time. Are you sure your dentist didn't mean having the denture replaced after 2 years?

In the meantime some fixodent as a last resort to keep the denture in shouldn't cause any harm as long as you have a good standard of hygiene and no stitches are present.

Hi there,
The dentures can be relined anytime as it is a small amount of acrylic added onto the denture. The best time to reline is about the 3 month stage when most of the gums and bones have fully healed. 2 years seems an awful long time. Are you sure your dentist didn't mean having the denture replaced after 2 years?

In the meantime some fixodent as a last resort to keep the denture in shouldn't cause any harm as long as you have a good standard of hygiene and no stitches are present.

It's weird actually, he didn't once mention that the dentures might become looser, not during any of the apppointments I had.
On the day I had extractions and had them fitted I asked
'What about when they will need to be re'aligned or re-lined - whichever it's called? The thing when they become loose and gums shrink so they need more added to the plate?' How long do you think it'd be before I need to come back and have that done?'
He replied 'Oh, that's like 2 years away'

Re-lining was only something I found out about when watching a you tube video and realised it would be a thing that it normal and would happen.
It was me who brought up the subject, the dentist never mentioned it would happen at all.

I really feel a bit unsure about Fixodent so soon after the extractions, even the powder - though someone very kindly mailed me and suggested it. They also suggested Seabond too which I hadn't heard of.
I've read up on both and prefer the sound of Seabond and it seems less fiddly so I'm popping out to get some of that today.

I have another question actually as well as to whether there's any toothpastes made specifically for dentures? The dentist advised me to brush them with washing up liquid but it makes me gag even after a thorough rinse as it does not have a good residual taste.

Back