• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

IV Sedation, is 3 hours too long?

Aurora10

Aurora10

Hi, I'm having IV sedation on Friday and it's going to be for approximately 3 hours because I'm having 2 crowns and a small filling done.

I've had IV sedation twice before and it went really well, the drugs were fentanyl and midozotwiceThe only thing I noticed was that I was terribly tired and felt I had jetlag for a couple of days afterwards. But those appointments were only for an hour or two.

Will a 3 hour appointment be too much? Will there be more chance of side effects? What can I expect?

I'm having this treatment so I can have an invisalign fitted for my jaw which Is misaligned since I had a bridge placed last year. It's stressful and I'm making myself worry about the sedation aspect now too.

I would love to hear your opinions on this please,

Thanks so much!

I would speak to your dentist, but if they think 3 hours is appropriate, then I would go for it.

Doesn't make a whole heap of difference whether the sedation is for 1 hr or 3 hrs... if it's what's needed to get the job done then go for it.

Thank you so much Gordon, I don't really like having it but at the moment I think it is probably wisest.

I would speak to your dentist, but if they think 3 hours is appropriate, then I would go for it.

Thanks Paige2018, I sent an email to my sedation nurse but she hasnt replied yet. I'm sure it will be ok now as Gordon has given his view as a dentist and I trust his opinion. I just want to get on with it now you know? ??

Hi, I'm having IV sedation on Friday and it's going to be for approximately 3 hours because I'm having 2 crowns and a small filling done.

I've had IV sedation twice before and it went really well, the drugs were fentanyl and midozotwiceThe only thing I noticed was that I was terribly tired and felt I had jetlag for a couple of days afterwards. But those appointments were only for an hour or two.

Will a 3 hour appointment be too much? Will there be more chance of side effects? What can I expect?

I'm having this treatment so I can have an invisalign fitted for my jaw which Is misaligned since I had a bridge placed last year. It's stressful and I'm making myself worry about the sedation aspect now too.

I would love to hear your opinions on this please,

Thanks so much!

I just saw my typo, I'm embarrassed! Midozolam is of course what I meant to say.?

Back