• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Iv Sedation root canal

S

Shayleeal

hi all I’m getting a root canal on my lower left molar and it has a huge abscess. I’m getting a sedation iv but I’ve heard you Are still awake. It’s two appointments are in terrified I’ve had awful experiences before in which I ended up in the hospital because of the pain.

can anyone give me advice?

Hi and welcome Shayleeal,

it's right that you are awake during an iv sedation, but you won't remember much afterwards since the medication causes memory loss. So you will get the iv and one second later it will be over. Here is a nice link from the faq section that explains this more in detail:
https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/help/sedation-dentistry/iv-sedation/

Sorry to hear about your awful experiences. Was it also iv sedation back then?

hi all I’m getting a root canal on my lower left molar and it has a huge abscess. I’m getting a sedation iv but I’ve heard you Are still awake. It’s two appointments are in terrified I’ve had awful experiences before in which I ended up in the hospital because of the pain.

can anyone give me advice?

Hi Shayleeal,

Sorry to hear about your past experiences and that you have this problem with your tooth. I have had 2 IV sedation appointments recently, within 3 weeks of each other. For me, they've been amazing experiences and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone and I wouldn't hesitate to have it again when I need to. Yes, you are awake and able to respond to the dentist, but it's just like being asleep. Some people here have posted that they don't remember anything from when they had the IV needle inserted to when they arrived back home whereas other people like me remember small.parts of the procedure, but I didn't feel anxious or panicky at all and neither will you. It's very safe and very effective and you will most likely love it!
Please don't waste your energy worrying about it, the very worst part is the thought of it. I understand exactly that you feel apprehensive etc because I did too, but there was really no need at all.
Feel free to ask any me anything about my experiences with it if you like-best of luck!?

IV sedation must be different, depending on your country. In the US when you’re under anesthesia you are absolutely not awake. You cannot hear or respond to your doctor. If you happen to start waking up during the procedure the anesthesiologist will push more medication immediately and you’re knocked back out. Depending on what you had done, there is almost certainly pain afterward but they provide medication for that as well.

IV sedation must be different, depending on your country. In the US when you’re under anesthesia you are absolutely not awake. You cannot hear or respond to your doctor. If you happen to start waking up during the procedure the anesthesiologist will push more medication immediately and you’re knocked back out. Depending on what you had done, there is almost certainly pain afterward but they provide medication for that as well.

I think you're referring to general anaesthetic. IV sedation is only moderate sedation. It's actually also referred to as conscious sedation. But its sedation not unconsciousness. You are still awake and can respond to instructions and can respond to stimuli, but you are very relaxed. The drugs that they use actually have an amnesiac effect so that you remember parts or absolutely nothing about the procedure. It really is like falling asleep. In my case, I remember small parts but I was not anxious in the least. ☺

I think you're referring to general anaesthetic. IV sedation is only moderate sedation. It's actually also referred to as conscious sedation. But its sedation not unconsciousness. You are still awake and can respond to instructions and can respond to stimuli, but you are very relaxed. The drugs that they use actually have an amnesiac effect so that you remember parts or absolutely nothing about the procedure. It really is like falling asleep. In my case, I remember small parts but I was not anxious in the least. ☺

Hi! Yes, I am referring to general anesthesia but some places still call it IV “sedation”. When I had surgery a couple of months ago it was under general but still called IV sedation. It’s quite confusing in some circumstances. If they “only” give you a benzodiazepine to sedate you, you will be able to communicate with your provider, but if you get Propofol, forget about it....you’re out!

Hi! Yes, I am referring to general anesthesia but some places still call it IV “sedation”. When I had surgery a couple of months ago it was under general but still called IV sedation. It’s quite confusing in some circumstances. If they “only” give you a benzodiazepine to sedate you, you will be able to communicate with your provider, but if you get Propofol, forget about it....you’re out!

Really? That's strange. I had midazolam and fentanyl but it was titrated so that I was still breathing on my own and able to respond to the dentist. Here the dentist can't give even heavy sedation in his office.

Really? That's strange. I had midazolam and fentanyl but it was titrated so that I was still breathing on my own and able to respond to the dentist. Here the dentist can't give even heavy sedation in his office.

Oh yes, the benzodiazepine and the pain medication are different than what they use here. I’m referring to an oral surgery center though...not just a general dentist. Maybe that’s the difference?

Oh yes, the benzodiazepine and the pain medication are different than what they use here. I’m referring to an oral surgery center though...not just a general dentist. Maybe that’s the difference?

They use different drugs here too, it's just the dentists preference. Yes, maybe that's the difference because I don't think they are allowed to perform general anaesthesia in a general practitioners office in Canada anyway but maybe in the States?

Last edited:
They use different drugs here too, it's just the dentists preference. Yes, maybe that's the difference because I don't think they are allowed to perform general anaesthesia in a general practitioners office in Canada anyway but maybe in the States?

I’m really not sure! I think as long as the practice is certified, has a proper procedure area and there is an anesthesiologist present they can use whatever sedation they feel is necessary. It seems there are a lot more “centers” in the US doing general anesthesia these days so patients don’t have to go to the hospital. Oral surgery centers, orthopedic surgery center, gastrointestinal center, etc. It definitely is convenient!

Back