• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I've got to have a surgical wisdom tooth extraction... would love some advice

Hoppi

Hoppi

Basically I'm due to have it out in a week under IV sedation. But I almost feel like I'm more scared of the IV than I am of the extraction. Don't get me wrong I'm terrified of both but... I dunno. A tube in my hand scares me plus the amnesia, hassle of it all (I have to go with my dad and you know what family drama can be like so I prefer to go solo to these things).

My plan without IV would have been to use a strong dose of diazepam (8-10mg) and some sprays of a benzocaine numbing spray into my throat to deal with the stress/panic and gag reflex (as mine is quite strong). Is the spray safe though? As I know I'd probably swallow some blood. Seeing blood can definitely make me faint but maybe I could ask for the towel over my eyes? Or is that strictly only for during sedation?

So... it's tricky. Without sedation the procedure is scarier of course but with it I then also have to deal with my big fear of needles and IVs, plus the drama of the amnesia and family stuff.

Hm. What do you guys n gals think?

Thank you :)

Last edited:
Hi Hoppi :welcome:,

sorry to read about your situation, particularly that you have to go with your dad while you would prefer to go alone.I am not sure how much choice you have over things but if there is any, I can only encourage you to set up things in a way you would prefere them to. IV sedation is a nice thing and from reading about it everyone seems to be happy with it, however if that's where your fears are, then looking for other options might be good.

It is not very likely for you to swallow blood during the procedure. Your dental nurse will work with suction instrument and her job will be to diligently catch any bleeding. If this point worries you, just let your dental team know and they will take extra care. It should also be possible for your dental team to keep anything out of your side so that you won't spot any used instruments so again, just let them know and they should be happy to take care of this.

It's good that you are thinking of solutions and ways of coping and again, your dentist should be happy to discuss options with you. If you both agree that oral sedation is the way to go, your dentist will be able to find a dose that is most likely to work. The same applies to benzocaine against gagging, your dentist / surgeon might be familiar with people with a strong gagg reflex and able to find a solution.

Do you have any chance of getting in touch with your dentist to talk about those details that worry you before the date of your treatment?

I also have a fear of needles, especially in my arm. Had a couple of impacted wisdom teeth removed years ago. The day of the appointment told myself I would be fine with the IV set up but I flinched when that part started. It really was not that bad in the end and only took them a moment to get things set up. It helped to not watch what they were doing and to be talked through it. Nice side benefit of the IV sedation was that I was out/have no memory of the local anesthesia given, they waited until the sedation effect kicked in to do that part.

Was not a fan of having to bring family along either but they ended up not really being involved other than being the driver. Normally IV sedation doesn't leave you feeling impaired afterward so you should still feel like your normal self. Wishing you the best with your appointment.

Basically I'm due to have it out in a week under IV sedation. But I almost feel like I'm more scared of the IV than I am of the extraction. Don't get me wrong I'm terrified of both but... I dunno. A tube in my hand scares me plus the amnesia, hassle of it all (I have to go with my dad and you know what family drama can be like so I prefer to go solo to these things).

My plan without IV would have been to use a strong dose of diazepam (8-10mg) and some sprays of a benzocaine numbing spray into my throat to deal with the stress/panic and gag reflex (as mine is quite strong). Is the spray safe though? As I know I'd probably swallow some blood. Seeing blood can definitely make me faint but maybe I could ask for the towel over my eyes? Or is that strictly only for during sedation?

So... it's tricky. Without sedation the procedure is scarier of course but with it I then also have to deal with my big fear of needles and IVs, plus the drama of the amnesia and family stuff.

Hm. What do you guys n gals think?

Thank you :)
I just had all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth removed on Friday with IV sedation. I never had anything like that before and I promise, it wasn't scary at all. My office allowed me to choose gas that put me to sleep before they put in the IV. I felt no pain or discomfort and even dreamed. When I woke up, I was numb but in control in myself and they assisted me to the waiting room. I promise that it is much scarier in your head and you will be so relieved once it is over with. If I had to do it all over again I would do the IV because it was so easy and I didn't have to sit through any of it. Best of luck to you ?

Thanks so much everyone.

It's actually... tomorrow morning. Wow... yeah. Scary >.<

But I think I'll be OK. My plan is to wake up with plenty of time spare, make sure I take my 8mg of diazepam before I go (they know I'll be taking it), get a train the whole way and then meet my dad there and go back to his for 24 hours afterwards as they said I need to be around someone for that length of time afterwards.

As for how scared I am... yeah I'm scared. But I'm hoping that the diazepam will reduce that enough to get me through the needle and initial fear and then the sedation will get me through the rest.

Your words did all help me and reassure me that the sedation wouldn't be too bad and the other stuff wouldn't either :)

They all helped a lot.

To be honest... regardless of how scared I am I just have to push myself through it somehow. I'm sure I can do it if I just keep a level head. Oh and I am planning to use ametop on my hands too so I don't feel the needle going in (or very little) as that helps me a lot psychologically.

I guess there's not much else to say except... thanks for all the well wishes and I'll let you all know how I got on soon :)

Well that went tremendously! I numbed up the backs of my hands with ametop cream too, went in, looked away when they put in the needle and then all I remember is asking if the sedation was going in yet, feeling the needle for local anaesthetic but I really wasn't too bothered by then, then I felt them wobble the tooth a bit... and next thing I knew I was staring at the dentist and he was telling me it was over! It went totally black for a bit, I think!

So yeah... really zero complaints and I was blown away at how painless the whole thing was both physically and mentally. I was a tad woozy afterwards but nothing major and am now spending 24 hours at my dad's while I recover :)

So... hooray! It was so easy that I can hardly believe it's over! Fantastic stuff :)

Thanks again all - every kind word and reassurance helped me!

I just wanted to add that it's amazing HOW similar it was to general anaesthetic, at least from my perspective as the patient. I'm sure I was kind of "there" from their perspective, but from my perspective it was exactly like general other than those tiny moments that I recalled that I mentioned above.

Strange isn't it? :)

But yeah for anyone else who might be nervous about IV sedation and ever reads this... from the patient's perspective it really is pretty much like general, at least in my experience! :)

Hoppi,

So glad to hear how well this went for you , even though it was a little scary, seems the thoughts were much scarier than the procedure. I know that is how it is usually for me too. and so many :). Hope your recovery is going well!

Hoppi,

So glad to hear how well this went for you , even though it was a little scary, seems the thoughts were much scarier than the procedure. I know that is how it is usually for me too. and so many :). Hope your recovery is going well!

Seems OK so far yeah. I mean, it's been about 27 hours now since it was pulled and it's not done anything dramatic like started bleeding lots again or something. I've had a tiny taste of blood or something here and there, just little tastes of things but just slight.

The most irritating thing is how food keeps going in there XD

I guess from today I can (and should?) start doing saltwater rinses, so that should help to dislodge it. I wonder how essential they are? I should look that up.

Even when food goes in there a bit maybe I shouldn't fiddle with it. I'm sure with light rinsing and normal eating and drinking most of it will come out by itself.

Thanks for the kind words - and yes it was way scarier in my head than the procedure itself. I find it can be very hard to predict how unpleasant any medical or dental procedure will be. Sometimes they're worse than you think and sometimes they're better. But yeah - this one was certainly nothing to worry about :)

Hoppi,

Glad to hear it is going pretty ok.. You know .. I hate to say I sometimes forget about the salt rinses after but know they somehow help . I think you are right and things mostly naturally make their way out too.

Thank you for the reply, krlovesherkids777. Yeah I've found that food works its way out pretty quickly especially when I'm doing any kind of rinsing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the saltwater rinses easy to forget to do! They can sometimes be hassle too :o

I've been hovering between using salt water and using chlorhexidine mouthwash. Different places recommend different things. I'm sure I'll be alright though. It's just all a bit new and I'm taking some time to understand and work out the best ways to do things.

Last edited:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the saltwater rinses easy to forget to do! They can sometimes be hassle too :o

We got a great tip recently from Vicky Mellish who‘s got a special interest in oral surgery. She recommends boiling a kettle and once cool, pour into a water bottle and add 4-6 teaspoons of salt for use on the go.
Wishing you a very quick and uneventful recovery :)!

Back