• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just got My Top Full Denture

  • Thread starter Thread starter newjerseychickxo
  • Start date Start date
N

newjerseychickxo

Junior member
Joined
Feb 24, 2010
Messages
2
Didn't have a choice. My teeth were in bad shape. Pain,Pain Pain. I was always afraid of the dentist,all threw growing up. It was a fear i had. Now i have dentures. I can go on and on about my life with my old teeth,but if I had no other choice but dentures,then i guess you can imagine what condition my teeth were in and how I had to deal with it. I'm 54 years of age. Now I can say I'm not ashamed of my smile any more. I will have to get use to having the plastic thingy in my mouth.That is whats bothering me,and also feels so big in width. I just got these full uppers,3 days ago. The denture is biting down on my bottom real teeth.and its very bothersome. I go to the dentist tomorrow. I hope he can help me. Id like to know if the tablet form of cleaning my denture is good. And what kind of stuff is good if i need adhesive. ty Debbie
 
Well done Debbie, I know how you feel about the plastic thingy and it feeling so big in your mouth. I have had mine a week now (not wearing it all the time) and it still feels strange, today I think someone swapped it cos it didn't feel like it fit anywhere. I don't have the problem with it biting down on the bottom ones, I had to have them out also, but because of infection can't use the lowers at the moment. I'm sure the dentist will help you, he has already adjusted mine once. Dentist used fixodent on mine and it worked, although I haven't used it since scared it will get stuck :rofl:, good luck with dentist tomorrow and let us know how you get on

Julie
 
Hey JerseyChick!

I too have just gotten a full upper denture, and I am 43 yrs old. I do have a few of my bottom teeth left, but no molars, just the fronts. Do you know if the dentist took a "bite impression" at any point. My dentist did, and it was not like the impression they took for the denture with a tray full of goop.

This was where squirted some goop from the caulk gun looking thing directly in my lower teeth and gum, then she had me bite down on it, and then she squirted goop around the teeth and let it set for just a minute or two. I know she sent this to the denture maker, because when I got the immediate denture the morning of my oral surgery, these bite impressions were in the bag with my denture.

I have been back for a couple of adjustments already (and I will have had the extractions and immediate denture for just one week tomorrow) and both times the dentist used a "carbon?? paper" and put it between my top and bottom teeth to be sure my bite was okay.

You might ask about that when you go tomorrow, it would seem they would have done something along this line knowing that you would be keeping you natural bottom teeth. You'll have to let them know just how much it is bothering you, I'm sure they can do something about it.

As for cleaning, my teeth get a bath in Efferdent every night. ;D The dentist gave me Fixodent tablets with my denture cup, but my Mom has used Efferdent for over 35 years and she swears by it, so that's what I bought when I was out shopping BEFORE my denture was even put it!! It seems to work just fine for my denture. I rinse it before I pop my teeth in and there is no bad taste, and they come out nice and clean.[smiley=jumping.gif]

Good luck tomorrow, let us know how you make out!
 
A little trick if you are having problem with gag reflex at all. A little bit of salt in your mouth just after you put in your appliance will trip up the gag reflex and make it a bit more bearable in general.
 
Some dentists dont recommend using Steradent tabs to clean a denture. I clean mine with a soft brush and toothpaste then soak in diluted bleach ( 1 cap bleach to about 8 caps water) for 10 mins or so, then I brush again and rinse.
 
Some dentists dont recommend using Steradent tabs to clean a denture. I clean mine with a soft brush and toothpaste then soak in diluted bleach ( 1 cap bleach to about 8 caps water) for 10 mins or so, then I brush again and rinse.

My dentist just told me to brush them with my toothbrush and toothpaste! That was over three months ago, and they're still very clean (they don't look clean because of the soft linings which get really gungey looking!). ;D

I can't see any problem with my continuing to do so. ;D
 
Didn't have a choice. My teeth were in bad shape. Pain,Pain Pain. I was always afraid of the dentist,all threw growing up. It was a fear i had. Now i have dentures. I can go on and on about my life with my old teeth,but if I had no other choice but dentures,then i guess you can imagine what condition my teeth were in and how I had to deal with it. I'm 54 years of age. Now I can say I'm not ashamed of my smile any more. I will have to get use to having the plastic thingy in my mouth.That is whats bothering me,and also feels so big in width. I just got these full uppers,3 days ago. The denture is biting down on my bottom real teeth.and its very bothersome. I go to the dentist tomorrow. I hope he can help me. Id like to know if the tablet form of cleaning my denture is good. And what kind of stuff is good if i need adhesive. ty Debbie

Welcome to the Upper Denture Club, Debbie! ;D

Things WILL get better I'm sure. Just tell your dentist exactly what problems you're having and I'm sure he or she will fix it for you.

As for adhesive I don't think it's wise to use any quite yet. I have recently discovered the wonders of Seabond (I posted a GLOWING recommendation last night!). It's a little more expensive than Poligrip Ultra (also recommended) but I prefer it. You'll have 'fun' experimenting with fixatives in time. ;)

I'm going to my dentist tomorrow to get my permanent uppers. Can't wait! I do love my immediate denture though - I'll keep it as a spare for definite!

And isn't it great to have a nice smile! :)
 
OP,
I admire you courage and determination going through this.

Oh and in related news I want membership in the club after next week. I get my last 6 uppers extracted on monday. Really amusing in a wierd way because on the following friday I am doing the same procedures on a patient of mine. Same teeth and all, # 12,13,14 and 3,4, and 5.
 
Ultracain,

[smiley=welcome.gif]To the UDC!! It's a bit early, but there is your welcome anyway!!!
 
ive been going to the dental hospital in white chaple (east london) for what seems like months. so busy there. but ive been having sedation treatment with the top year students. and all i can say is.THEY ARE FANTASTIC!!! i have a severe gag reflex and had the sedation treatment for all my work and molds they took. i tried the wax ones last week and i smiled for the first time a full mouth smile. i saw a row of shiny teeth.
so on the 24th of march i go to collect my NEW UPPER DENTURES :)
they are going to take me a while to get used to wearing them but it will be so good to eat food thats not soft.
i cant wait to eat some salad.
so can i join the top set club :)
 
Didn't have a choice. My teeth were in bad shape. Pain,Pain Pain. I was always afraid of the dentist,all threw growing up. It was a fear i had. Now i have dentures. I can go on and on about my life with my old teeth,but if I had no other choice but dentures,then i guess you can imagine what condition my teeth were in and how I had to deal with it. I'm 54 years of age. Now I can say I'm not ashamed of my smile any more. I will have to get use to having the plastic thingy in my mouth.That is whats bothering me,and also feels so big in width. I just got these full uppers,3 days ago. The denture is biting down on my bottom real teeth.and its very bothersome. I go to the dentist tomorrow. I hope he can help me. Id like to know if the tablet form of cleaning my denture is good. And what kind of stuff is good if i need adhesive. ty Debbie


Welcome to the upper denture club ;D Debbie, Upper dentures take getting use too. You will notice in a few weeks the denture does not fit as well, due to your gum shrinking, but your dentist should soft realign them. I use Denture tooth paste and fixodent tabs.
 
so can i join the top set club :)

Not fair! You've come up with a better name than mine! ;D;D;D The Top Set Club. I like it! ;D;D;D

I hope all goes well when you get your new smile on the 24th. You never know, you might get used to them REALLY quickly, as I did with mine. :)
 
Back
Top