• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Just had my first tooth extraction, how can I speed up the healing?

L

luckyman316

It was a molar (#30). Apparently not only was the tooth infected but it was also fractured, so an extraction was needed... a bone graft was put in place AND the dentist put a membrane on top of it. Now the question remains, how can I speed up healing? How can I stop the bleeding quicker and the adjacent gums, how do I get them back quick healing as well? Looking for any advice.

You can't speed up the healing process, but you can slow it down :)

Main thing is don't smoke for a bit, don't go poking about into the socket with anything and keep it as clean as you can with salt water rinses and brush the teeth around it carefully.

You can't speed up the healing process, but you can slow it down :)

Main thing is don't smoke for a bit, don't go poking about into the socket with anything and keep it as clean as you can with salt water rinses and brush the teeth around it carefully.

I don't smoke so this isn't an issue. Yeah there's a bone graft in there with a membrane on top. What I'm more concerned about is the ripped up gums on the teeth next to it now that keep bleeding. Thinking I head over to the dentist since it's been over 24 hours to make sure this is normal.

So I stopped by, they said it was normal for some bleeding for the next day or two so not to worry.

Glad you got to see them and got relieved it was normal :) I had some bleeding too after bone graft and membrane a little bit the next day not a whole lot.. hope your healing goes well!

Back