• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Liver Clot/Currant Jelly Clot Fear

J

Jeshara

I had my lower right second molar extracted today and was crying thoughout the procedure. I was instructed to bite on a cotton wool for at least half an hour. I bite down on the cotton for more than an hour. I checked the extraction site and saw that clot was already forming. So I decided to remove the cotton since it is very uncomfortable and my upper gums already hurt from biting down.

An hour after removing the cotton I noticed that the clot grew bigger. I searched in google and found out that it is liver or currant jelly clot. It was no longer bleeding but it grew so I am very anxious about it. I will attach a photo taken 1 hr 15 min after I removed the cotton and a photo of it as I type, 2hrs 15min.

Please please can someone please tell me if its normal. Because I saw a thread here earlier saying that clots shrinks so I am hoping that it will shrink to a normal size.

I had my lower right second molar extracted today and was crying thoughout the procedure. I was instructed to bite on a cotton wool for at least half an hour. I bite down on the cotton for more than an hour. I checked the extraction site and saw that clot was already forming. So I decided to remove the cotton since it is very uncomfortable and my upper gums already hurt from biting down.

An hour after removing the cotton I noticed that the clot grew bigger. I searched in google and found out that it is liver or currant jelly clot. It was no longer bleeding but it grew so I am very anxious about it. I will attach a photo taken 1 hr 15 min after I removed the cotton and a photo of it as I type, 2hrs 15min.

Please please can someone please tell me if its normal. Because I saw a thread here earlier saying that clots shrinks so I am hoping that it will shrink to a normal size.
IMG_20210301_213934.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20210301_213923.JPG
    IMG_20210301_213923.JPG
    996.3 KB · Views: 15

Hi! I am not a dentist, bit I have had several tooth extractions including wisdom teeth, and all bottom molars. Based on my experience and healing, your clot looks perfectly normal. The blood clot does shrink as it heals over a period of time. It starts to "sink" down in the extraction site. While this is happening, you will start to see this whiteish, grayish stuff starting to form.. it is normal.. I saw this stuff forming about 36 - 48 hours after my extraction. Hope this helps! I know that getting a tooth extracted is severe anxiety inducing for me.. each and every time. Hang in there!

Hi Jeshara,
I think it is going to be fine, try to avoid rinsing too much today and maybe sleep with your head slightly raised and it will be OK

Lincoln

Hi! I am not a dentist, bit I have had several tooth extractions including wisdom teeth, and all bottom molars. Based on my experience and healing, your clot looks perfectly normal. The blood clot does shrink as it heals over a period of time. It starts to "sink" down in the extraction site. While this is happening, you will start to see this whiteish, grayish stuff starting to form.. it is normal.. I saw this stuff forming about 36 - 48 hours after my extraction. Hope this helps! I know that getting a tooth extracted is severe anxiety inducing for me.. each and every time. Hang in there!
Thank you so much! This put me at ease. Its my first time as an adult so I was really anxious. I dont remember tooth extractions when I was young. I just woke up and the clot looks intact. The photo is taken 15hours after extraction. Thank you again. ☺

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_075145.JPG
    IMG_20210302_075145.JPG
    749.9 KB · Views: 10
Hi Jeshara,
I think it is going to be fine, try to avoid rinsing too much today and maybe sleep with your head slightly raised and it will be OK

Lincoln
Thank you for the assurance. ☺

I will attach a photo of the site 15hrs of extraction.

Im really determined to document everything so other people can see this too. There aren't a lot of information about the clot online so I was really anxious. I am so glad I found this community. ☺

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_075145.JPG
    IMG_20210302_075145.JPG
    749.9 KB · Views: 13
Back