• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Looking for Advice for My Boyfriend’s First Dental Procedure

  • Thread starter Thread starter shallyzomorodi
  • Start date Start date
S

shallyzomorodi

Junior member
Joined
May 18, 2025
Messages
1
Location
California
I’m reaching out because I could really use some advice and ideas from people who have experience with twilight sedation at the dentist. My boyfriend is 32 and has never been to the dentist. He’s skeptical, nervous, and worried that dental work will be painful or overwhelming. Recently, we found out he needs a massive procedure, including multiple extractions and fillings, and I’m really anxious about how he’ll handle it.


Since he’s never had dental work before, I’m trying to understand what will actually happen. I’d love to hear from people who can share what it’s like from the dentist’s perspective:


  • How do they start with first-time patients?
  • Will they take x-rays before the procedure, and how are they done?
  • How do they explain the steps of a big procedure like this?
  • Can patients keep their phones, listen to music or podcasts, or do something to stay comfortable during the procedure?

I’ve read that twilight sedation keeps patients calm, drowsy, and relaxed, but still responsive. That sounds perfect for him, especially since he’s anxious and has never had any dental experience. I want to make sure he feels safe, comfortable, and in control, even though it’s a big and unfamiliar procedure.


If anyone has gone through a similar situation—first-time patients, large dental procedures, or people who were skeptical about going to the dentist—I would love to hear about your experience. How did the sedation work for you? What was it like during the procedure? How did the staff keep you comfortable and informed? Did you use music or podcasts, and did that help?


I’m really hoping to gather ideas so I can help him feel more confident and prepared. Knowing what to expect and hearing real experiences with twilight sedation would make both of us feel much more comfortable about this step.
 
Hello. I have no experience with sedation but I posted here not long ago about going to the dentist for the first time at 29. I have a many dental issues: heavy tartar calculus, wisdom tooth, decays and broken teeth. I had avoided dentist due to shame and fear of pain. I went for the first time a month ago. She asked me about my health and oral hygiene. I told her it was my first time and I felt anxious. She took a look inside my mouth then did the x-ray. She analyzed it and told me the plan, step by step: tartar removal, wisdom tooth extraction then fillings. Things are often less dramatic than we think. I went for my first scaling (upper teeth) last week. She explained how it would feel and asked if I wanted local anesthetic and gave instructions to brush etc.
The most important is to find a staff he feels comfortable with. The first appointment will likely be only an assessment, if something doesn't feel right or he needs more explanation he has the right to let the staff know or see someone else.
 
How do they start with first-time patients?
Usually a chat about their current dental issues, expectations and so on.

Will they take x-rays before the procedure, and how are they done?
Yes. Google will give you some photos/videos.

How do they explain the steps of a big procedure like this?
Try to put things into lay terms and ask for questions afterwards.

Can patients keep their phones, listen to music or podcasts, or do something to stay comfortable during the procedure?
You mean use their phones? Personally, no. Listen to music or podcasts, yeah sure if you want.
 
@shallyzomorodi, he might have had it now but I’ve had conscious sedation for implants/bone graft etc. which was quite invasive. It’s brilliant, very relaxing, didn’t need a movie or phone as so relaxed and time kind of doesn’t matter, also no bad memories of it after. I would have it again as it also saves all the worry beforehand about the procedure too. Also had treatment without and using movies and headphones - found it a good distraction but nothing like how nice the sedation was. There are some good meditation apps that can help with getting in to an appointment but sedation really does just remove all the anxiety during treatment.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top