• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower dentures on implants and bar

S

Scarycat

Hi two days ago I had my final dentures which I can't quite believe I have got to that postition after being so scared . Anyway no problem with the top dentures as they are traditional ones and fit great my problem is the bottom ones as they fit over 2 implants and a bar , I had a few try ins at the dentist and thought I had mastered clicking them in but yesterday realised when eating they aren't in properly as moving around a little bit I have arthritis in my fingers so that doesn't help anyone have any advise to me on how to get them to click in and remove them , I have to go back to the dentist next week to see how I am getting on but would be grateful to any advise from anyone who has been through this .

Scarycat,

I wish I had advise for you, I"ve never had the dentures that clicked into implants with a bar. but can imagine even iif they fit the best it might be hard to get used to and a bit tricky.. and it seems when you are at dental offices or wherever everything seems easier then you get home and it all goes . I hope you find some good advice on here. :grouphug:

Shall I move this into the Ask a Dentist section?

It's like any new thing, takes a bit of practice to get good at it. Make sure you're looking at them in a mirror so you can see what you're doing and just take your time, it's easy to get into a little panic and then things go more wrong.
They do loosen off a bit as you put them in and out but it's easy enough for your dentist to slacken them off a bit more for you.

Thank you Gordon, I actually clicked them in today and went for a meal got to say was impressed how I could eat and they didn't move just got to get them out now , you do need to take your time and not panic though .

Well done you. Was there something you really missed eating that you'll be able to enjoy again now? One of my former patients was desperate to eat a bacon sandwich properly for the first time in years when she got her implants done :)

Your story reminded me of the first time I tried putting my new contact lenses in at home... took about 20 minutes and I nearly lost one for good down the back of the fridge!

I managed to get them out clean them and put them back in even if it was a bit awkward , going back to the dentist tomorrow for them to see how I am getting on and to see the hygienist about cleaning the implants and bar ( as my dentist said I have to look after my investments ) . I am looking forward to being able to bite things again especially when you are at party's with buffet food .
Its nice to know that I am not the only one that can struggle with something new and peserverance will pay off .

That's great, did you see the other thread here about flossing round implants?

It's really important to learn how to clean the implants properly, they aren't a "fit and forget" thing, they really need proper maintenance.

I went to the dentist today and the hygienist did show me how to clean,use a waterpik and floss .i never realised how much maintenance they needed I am still getting used to putting them in etc and I only use about 30% of the hold as they want me to get used to putting / taking them out first.

Hi I was wondering if someone can advise me how to clean my bar which is attached to 2 implants . I am using an electric toothbrush water pik and floss but I am still getting plaque/ tarter around the bar I had the plaque removed 5 weeks ago but it is coming back . I am even using a magnified mirror to brush them and getting frustrated as obviously doing something wrong .

Start off by using 2 hands, 1 to pull your lower lip down out of the way and the other (obviously!) to do the brushing. That way you can have a good look at what you're doing. How many times a day are you cleaning them?
Some folks take out the over denture and clean them after every meal, that might be overkill for most patients but might be worth trying it if you can manage?

I am cleaning them twice a day in a morning it takes me about 15 mins with cleaning dentures as well , the Tartar seems to be more attached to bar as can get the tepe flossers under bar , I use electric toothbrush that the dental practice gave me , a little brush with a few bristles and a water pik and a magnifying mirror , are some people more prone to get plaque than others or is it I am not being thorough enough .

Some folk are much more prone to tartar, they have saliva which is pretty rich in Calcium and Phosphate ions, which deposits onto the teeth like limescale on a kettle.
I can't say if you're being thorough enough or not, maybe ask the hygienist to supervise your cleaning routine and see what they pick up?

Thank you for your reply Gordon next time I see the hygenist I will have a word with her and hopefully sort it out .

Hi Gordon just wondered if you could help me , I live in the uk and have been using dentu creme toothpaste to do my dentures which I have been very happy with . Unfortunately I can’t seem to be able to get it any more I just wondered if you knew of a similar toothpaste to it as I know you have to be careful what to use .
Many thanks

You'll not believe this answer but would you believe just use washing up liquid? Cleans really well and is completely non-abrasive so won't take the finish off your denture.
Occasionally soak them in some Milton's fluid too to, cold water, dilute as per makers' instructions.

Back