• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower second molar extraction with infection

T

Tracey

I have severe anxiety and phobias, the dentist being one of my top fears. I have put off this extraction for 2 years. Now my tooth is at the point where it is just a small tooth left on the corner, the rest has broken off. It feels like it is just being held on by a very old filling. I am terrified for my dentist to see this, can it still be taken out? Will it still be a simple extraction since there is really no tooth left because it broken at gum line, part of my gum is now kinda covering the hole by the filling that is gum line. Will the infection I have at the root spread? Can an infected tooth be pulled? I do not like to take medication either so having a hard time taking antibiotic. I am just scared of this whole procedure from getting in the chair, sitting here getting numb and waiting for him to come back in, and then procedure itself. Can it be done with my tooth being soo bad? Will it come out in pieces and take forever? Will I get dry socket? I smoke so having a hard time with that also! Please help!

You might get a dry socket but there's more than a 90% chance that you won't, even if you do, it's a bit sore for a while, it won't kill you, it won't even make you ill. You've probably had much worse things in your life :)

Appointment is this Saturday and now I’m in the state of doom. I’m terries for this extraction and the healing time. Anyone with experience?

Hi Tracey, I 'd like to know how did It go..

It went great. I was terrified going into appointment but said just get it over with or this anxiety will just continue until you try to go again. The whole procedure was very fast. When I got home I was a bit nervous and overwhelmed but tried to just lay down and watch tv with a bag of frozen veggies on my face to avoid any swelling. I babied it and made sure I was following the instructions perfectly.

Thanks for updating us. :you-rock:

Back