• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lower wisdom tooth removal

R

Rls15

Hi all

Has anyone ever had a lower (non impacted) wisdom tooth removed without any sedation? I was offered sedation and declined. Just wondering what I’ve gotten myself in for! :cry::o

I was thinking “it’ll be fine” up until the point when the consultant said “we’ll probably have to cut into your jaw”

Well damn :sick::frantic:

I had all of my wisdom teeth taken out in one session, just under local, no sedation (which was pretty the standard in the country I lived in). The lower were not fully erupted yet.

It sounds like your consultant wasn't too sensitive when it comes to choosing the words. Your dentist will make sure to make you properly numb for the procedure and once this happens, it really doesn't matter what they will do, it will all feels the same - dull, a bit of pressure and maybe some vibration. You will notice they work on the spot but won't be able to tell what is happening.

I was scared half to death for my procedure and extremely intimidated by the dentist but to be honest that was the worst part. The longest past of the treatment was to wait for the numbing to take effect. Then the dentist started and again, I wasn't able to tell what is happening. After few minutes he said we are done and that was it. It was much easier than any treatment I had before.

Hi,

The main difficulty with extracting both lower wisdom teeth is the local anesthesia. Each tooth requires numbing half the side of the jaw and having to two half’s numbed is very uncomfortable (for about 5 hours). You can not speak, eat or drink properly.

Tooth is coming out Tuesday and I’ve never been more excited for anything. The pain has ramped up so I’m literally counting down :)

I’m not even worried about getting dry socket because I know that can be treated whereas my dentist isn’t doing anything to get me out of pain in the meantime, I’ve been in pain since April and thoroughly fed up now, especially as it’s started disturbing my sleep. Luckily it still doesn’t hurt to eat :cheers:

One slight concern I have is that the surgeon I’m seeing hasn’t taken any further xrays. I’m meant to be having the tooth out in hospital but I’m in the UK and the earliest I could get it out is January. I did some googling and found one of the local NHS surgeons works one day a week out of his wife’s private practice and he’s willing to take it out a lot quicker which is great but I’ve had a letter from the NHS with an appointment for the attached X-ray. Is this needed? This consultant hasn’t taken any xrays but I’m wondering if my tooth is quite uncomplicated compared to what they usually see! X-ray also attached :)

Attachments

• 1345A565-2AF7-4234-B7F7-BD6A17471A75.jpeg
    1345A565-2AF7-4234-B7F7-BD6A17471A75.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 43224D60-F69E-4BB0-9F24-DD2AF18147FF.png
    43224D60-F69E-4BB0-9F24-DD2AF18147FF.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
Well Dr Daniel you were, of course, right! The tooth was a nightmare to numb. Poor surgeon had to give 8 injections and even then I still had pain when he tried to pull. He injected the tooth nerve itself I believe which worked a treat.

Removal was nice and easy after that but the whole 40 minute appointment was 40 minutes waiting to numb and 2 minute removal! ?

What on earth has just come out of my extraction hole?! ?‍♀️ I’m hoping it’s food! ? the hole does look a lot deeper now though...

Actually it was poking up out of the hole so pretty sure it might have been food and was easily moved with my tongue. It was quite firm but soft, could break it with my fingernail

Attachments

• D4C08C48-90B6-4C9A-869A-5D2279097F33.jpeg
    D4C08C48-90B6-4C9A-869A-5D2279097F33.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
What on earth has just come out of my extraction hole?! ?‍♀️ I’m hoping it’s food! ? the hole does look a lot deeper now though...

Actually it was poking up out of the hole so pretty sure it might have been food and was easily moved with my tongue. It was quite firm but soft, could break it with my fingernail
I would not worry about it.

Back