• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lump on gums just burst

H

Hamilton

It all started with a sore tooth. My front left tooth got real sensitive to the touch and started hurting so I went to my dentist. He gave me x-rays and said he could not see anything wrong with my teeth. He suggested that the sensitivity was probably caused by grinding my teeth and sent me on my way. That same night the pain went from a 5 to a 10. I got no sleep and probably popped about 20 Advil. The next morning I found a different dentist and he told me the same thing after taking x-rays. He could not see anything wrong with my teeth, but he prescribed me some antibiotics. Almost an hour after taking the antibiotics the pain somewhat dulled out in my tooth, but my gums and lips swelled up. The pain was still there but more tolerable than before. The next morning I was still swolen up and noticed that beside my nose was also swolen and sore. I went to the dentist a third time and still they could see no infection anywhere in my mouth. After the 3rd day of taking the biotics I developed a marble sized ball on the gum right above my tooth and hours later it burst, pouring out blood and puss. I'm assuming this was the infection working it's way out of my body, but why wouldn't the dentists be able to see anything? Has anyone ever had this happen to them or have any suggestions on what to do next? The pain is gone now, but I'm worried once I finish these antibiotics that it's going to come back. :scared: Help!

Anytime I've had what you're explaining, it's been an abscessed tooth. The dentist(s) should have been able to see it on the X-ray as an abscess does appear on them as a dark/black spot.

With the antibiotics you should be fine & it should go away. I've had some persistent ones that don't go away completely with antibiotics but that is because they were deep in my gums and had no way to be released.

I would go back to the dentist if it's still bothering you after you've finished the antibiotics & explain to them what has happened.

Back