• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Lumps on gaps where upper teeth removed and general fear of extractions.

S

Seasider18

I am a vigorous brusher. Over many years I lost the five leftmost teeth on my upper jaw and similar on the right apart from one molar that has a metal crown. Over time little some little hard lumps came up on the gaps mainly on the chewing edge on the left side. I can’t remember the name given to the condition but was told some years ago it was not a concern. Over the past year or two they have got bigger and swell/increase in size overnight and used to decrease again as the day went on but now less so. I am aware of them but they are not exactly painful. I rub Gengigel or Bonjela on them and also rinse in salt water which seems not to do much. I had an upper denture in the late 1970’s but abandoned it as it made me lisp and food got behind it moving it when eating despite alterations.

With bad experiences during my lifetime (I’m 86) and for the past three years have not been to a dentist. I cancelled two appointment as my BP was sky high and my atrial fibrillation erratic at the thought. Another two were cancelled by them. Another problem is that I suffer from fluoroquinolone toxicity syndrome caused by that antibiotic. This as well as causing a form of neuropathy has given me very bad and worsening insomnia and other problems. My main fear just now is a fast wearing down lower right and sensitive wisdom tooth. My excellent dentist told me that he does not want to do it as the root has grown at a right angle into my jaw bone. Either the lower left wisdom or it’s adjoining molar are also twinging from time to time.

I have an appointment for a check-up next month.

Hi Seasider18:welcome:,

I am glad to read that you have an excelent dentist and have an appointment for a check-up next month. How did you manage to finally go after those three years and cancelled appointments?
If I got it right, the lumps is not what really bothers you right now, but you are worried about the wisdom tooth and possible extraction. Is there anything specific that worries you about that?
Hope your dentist will be able to find a good solution for you..

Hi Seasider18:welcome:,

I am glad to read that you have an excelent dentist and have an appointment for a check-up next month. How did you manage to finally go after those three years and cancelled appointments?
If I got it right, the lumps is not what really bothers you right now, but you are worried about the wisdom tooth and possible extraction. Is there anything specific that worries you about that?
Hope your dentist will be able to find a good solution for you..
They say there is nothing to fear except fear itself ! Normally I am Mr Confident but as this site says 'Dental Phobia'. I hate things in my mouth and choke and GAG. One dentist sent me away saying I was wasting his time after three failed X-Rays.
My concern is my blood pressure that can go through the roof and atrial fibrillation.
Only dentistry bothers me. When going for my heart valve replacement they said I was the calmest patient they had ever had.

Well, I guess everyone has fears.. for some it's heights, for some mice and for some it's dentist. In my experience the most people are not happy to see a dentists, it's all just about how severe the struggle is. I am glad that you are confident in other areas otherwise, that makes things easier. Sorry to read about what the dentist said.. you're not wasting anyone's time - many people have severe gag reflex and it is something a dentist has to deal with now and then. Have you seen this article?

Yes, I've read that and others and had advice from dentists.
What's your dental phobia or are you just browsing ?

I had a phobia of pretty much everything few years back. Couldn't cope with lying down or having people touching me. I'm fine now, had found a super patient dentist.

Back