• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Made an appointment, and freaking/New here

  • Thread starter Thread starter TJ
  • Start date Start date
T

TJ

Junior member
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
4
I haven't been to the dentist in about 6 years. 6 blissful years. But I know I have to go. (or look into dentures?) My dad died 2 weeks ago and I'm still a little shell shocked. So before I figure out what end is up, I made an appointment. this is to a new dentist that came recommended (from someone with just perfect teeth- don't you hate that?) But my #1 fear is that the dentist makes stuff up. "Invental Dental" I need to pay off that Mercedes, looks like you need a crown or 3. So if my friend with the perfect teeth doesn't get invented dental work done, I should be ok, at least that's my logic. So I call, praying they don't take my flavor of insurance, but of course they do, and she chipperly replies that they had a cancellation tomorrow morning! So I took it. And now I"m flipping out. I told her all this. She reassured me they have people like this all the time. She even asked if I would like to try Xanax. I can bring a blanket or a teddy bear or a CD or DVD... this almost sounds ok. Until we get to the "what wrong" part. And they have to open a ream of paper to print out my estimate. I'm totally freaking out. Sweaty palms. How will I sleep tonight?

Anyway.... it's at 7am. I should be too tired to freak out and run away. I'm thinking if it goes really bad, I can just never return. And sip my food through a straw. :sleepyjuice:Thanks for listening!

TJ
 
HI and Welcome!!
Good to hear it is in the morning. I like to have them early so I don't sit around waiting and thinking. Sounds like it will be a look and see so you will have a great opportunity to get to know if you feel right with this Dentist way before you get any work done or make a commitment. Good for you! Think of it as you interviewing the Dentist office and you never have to stay or even go back if you didn't want to, it's all in your hands.Come back and let us know how your appt goes. It sounds like they have a lot of experience with the more nervous patient which might be a really good sign.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. [smiley=hugging.gif]
 
Thank you! And yes, it's a look and see. they won't even do a cleaning on this initial visit. Something like 18 xrays? and all the charting. She said expect to be there an hour and a half. wowza. This group is really great. I've read so much on here already. All the co workers I have tried to talk to don't understand at all... they think I should just buck up and "deal with it" or totally think I'm nuts. And the significant other is not exactly the fountain of compassion either. :(

This dentist has the inter oral camera... and they show you up on a monitor just exactly what's going on. Trouble is, that grosses me out so bad, I may pass out. I'd like to see, but I'm pretty weak in the stomach. Wimp!

TJ
 
Hi TJ and [smiley=welcome.gif].

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, too.

However, you should be proud of yourself for taking that appointment tomorrow. You'll be amazed how much better it feels not to have to fear the unknown anymore.

I wish I wasn't so tired at the moment. I'm just on my way to bed but wanted to let you know that I'm wishing you all the best for your visit.

Just remember to be up front with the dentist about things that concern you or that make you nervous. And, if the oral camera makes you nervous, ask that they not show you the images. I'm sure you won't be the first patient who doesn't want to see everything that's going on. There's no shame in that.

:grouphug:
 
Hello TJ, you're in great company here because we do understand how you are feeling. The majority of us have either been just where you are now, a little further on or even finished with our current bout of treatment. That first appointment after a long absence from the dentist is the hardest of all to get through but believe me, once you get into the room and sit down you're going to feel so much better - just the relief of sharing my problems did it for me. Anyhow, six years may be a long time to you but I am sure that in that period not too much has happened, certainly not enough to warrant dentures. The time leading up to that first appointment is the worst as your imagination runs riot but as I say once you know what needs to be done, and hopefully just a cleaning and perhaps a filling or two, who knows. But, whatever needs to be done, dentistry has moved on in leaps and bounds, not only in methods and equipment used but also just as importantly dentists' attitudes in now understanding phobics like us.
So, try not to worry too much and I'm sure pretty soon you'll be posting here that it really wasn't half as bad as you expected and you'll be feeling an immense pride in yourself for having got through it. Best of luck.:grouphug:
 
Yes, please post here and let us know how it went. I am on my way to an appointment in about an hour. I am fortunate to have a dentist I trust, but I still get the sweaty palms/sick feeling in the stomach. I tell myself that my fear of the unknown is perfectly reasonable, and being afraid is okay! If I can convince myself to not criticize myself for feeling afraid, that's a step in the right direction.
 
Thank you for all your support! Guess what? It went great! The call to make the appointment, and the time up until I got there were the worst. The dentist and staff were great- they sat me down in an office first, to discuss what exactly scared me, and what they could do to help. We discussed lots of options, including breaks (to sit up) if needed, medication, and that I could not look at the camera images on a giant screen or I would pass out. The fact that my treatment was my choice was a thought that had never occurred to me. They were like "hey, you're the patient"! So, I need 2 crowns and a small filling. I've had those done before, and I'm not even worried. I'm doing one crown on Sept. 11, and then back again in a month to finish it. I'm pushing the other crown and filling til January, where I can budget more $ into a health spending account and have the dollars go pre tax.

They had a cancellation on the hygeneist, so I got them cleaned as well. I was there for 3 hours total. The hygenist had her work cut out for her, and said it wouldn't take nearly as long if I came twice a year. So I already have my next appt set up in 6 months. There was a lot of scraping!

She said I need to floss more effectively and showed me how. (I do floss daily, I just go way too fast). I had just a little gingivitis... not too bad all total for being MIA for 6 years. I was really terrified about my gums and feared a "deep cleaning"- but I dont need that.

Oh! the very best thing? The office did not "smell" dentisty at all! I was so so surprised, because that smell auto nauseates me. I can just about puke smelling it. she said it was a combo of xray developers and cleaners that they don't use in her office. the waiting area was awesome- looked just like a living room. They even had some good smelling candles going. One day last summer, I was at a small strip mall going into a pet food place. Unknown to me, next door was a dentist. Their door opened and out wafted that horrible smell. I literally wanted to run, and I wasn't even there for the dentist.

So I guess finding a dentist you are comfortable with is key. I added up for my whole life, 7 dentists total. I now have 2 I liked, 4 very negative ones and 1 I'd call neutral (I was really little, and he was close to retiring- I don't think he was effective at all, but not scary either). the negative ones were bad, one didn't use enough novacaine, ever. Another was like an army general "this is what you must have done"; and did the whole scolding thing for not flossing. Another was totally just money hungry; and continually asked me when I would get a job with better dental insurance ( I was young and naive- shoulda been a clue to run, which I eventually did). And by far the scariest, was one that did a bait and switch- I needed a filling and she said do wednesdays work for you? Sure! I show up, and a whole different dr I have never met is drilling my tooth. Really, I should have said where's Dr. #1 and if she's not here, I'm gone. that was just nasty how she pulled that. Again, young and stupid. But all these people have chipped away at my trust and made me the dental phobe I am today!

[smiley=scared.gif]TJ
 
Wow! A big congrats is in order for one finding an amazing and caring dentist and two for getting a cleaning down! :respect: I would have NEVER been able to have anything done on that first visit to a dentist in several years. Don't you just love that relieved feeling you get after the visit?!
 
Great job! Sounds like your teeth are not in too bad shape, great news!!
 

Similar threads

A
Replies
2
Views
1K
Alex_1
A
M
Replies
4
Views
916
MyCrappyTeeth
M
A
Replies
4
Views
1K
nutzforcats
N
W
Replies
2
Views
1K
Scaredbutready
S
Back
Top