• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Made it through IMPRESSIONS!!!

45andAfraid

I'm so excited that I made it through the most fearful part of dentistry and that's the dreaded gaggamungous impressions!!

I was told to take 1 pill of 2.5mg of Ativan an hour before my appointment and then another one when I arrived. I was already feeling the affects of the 1st one.

these sedatives keep you alert but you are calm. Nothing is scary or fearful anymore. I had to try different trays because they one they had ready was too big... but the dentist handed me a few different size trays to try and put in myself.

We finally found a good one and he told me all he needed were my top teeth impressions, not the bridge of my mouth. So no full tray of goop but only where the teeth were, so that was a bit of a relief.

I do admit that I did gag... twice. Once on the second numbing injection because I felt a gag coming on.... and then during the last 5 secs left of the top tray, I gagged. I think I felt more upset and sorry for gagging then I did gagging, but I mustered on. He said the impression still took.

He then said that would be enough for today and I said... NO! Let's do the bottoms, I can do those! Shoved a tray in my mouth and said SEE? ;D So he said... ok let's do it then!

That part was super easy!! And no teeth came out with it like I thought!

I'm so damn proud of myself for doing it! I LOVE LOVE my dentist!!! he rocks!!

I'm so excited that I made it through the most fearful part of dentistry and that's the dreaded gaggamungous impressions!!

I was told to take 1 pill of 2.5mg of Ativan an hour before my appointment and then another one when I arrived. I was already feeling the affects of the 1st one.

these sedatives keep you alert but you are calm. Nothing is scary or fearful anymore. I had to try different trays because they one they had ready was too big... but the dentist handed me a few different size trays to try and put in myself.

We finally found a good one and he told me all he needed were my top teeth impressions, not the bridge of my mouth. So no full tray of goop but only where the teeth were, so that was a bit of a relief.

I do admit that I did gag... twice. Once on the second numbing injection because I felt a gag coming on.... and then during the last 5 secs left of the top tray, I gagged. I think I felt more upset and sorry for gagging then I did gagging, but I mustered on. He said the impression still took.

He then said that would be enough for today and I said... NO! Let's do the bottoms, I can do those! Shoved a tray in my mouth and said SEE? ;D So he said... ok let's do it then!

That part was super easy!! And no teeth came out with it like I thought!

I'm so damn proud of myself for doing it! I LOVE LOVE my dentist!!! he rocks!!

Congratulations :jump:. I am so pleased you are getting that level of tailored personal service. Great that you chose whether to do more or try again another day. I reckon you are in good hands.
Lesson for any impatient dentists: by giving even the slightly sedated patient the option, they actually often choose to carry on and thereby take a step closer to overcoming their fear/gagging problems.

That's is awesome that you were able to do it good for you and did u feel the needle injection at all

That's is awesome that you were able to do it good for you and did u feel the needle injection at all

yes I felt both needles.... I don't care about pain or needles... gagging is my phobia and fear.

I gagged on the second needle and gagged on the upper tray but I still succeeded so I'm proud anyway!!

BRING ON THE REST!! :jump:

You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

you gagged, but you survived........................way to beat your demons!!!!!

how dumb is it that, it makes me cry.............small victories or how to eat an elephant- one bite at a time!

You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

you gagged, but you survivied........................way to beat your demons!!!!!

how dumb is it that, that it makes me cry.............small victories or how to eat an elephant- one bite at a time!

Yup! But the best part was the sedatives made me not care and I vaguely remember much of it now. Sedation kicks butt! LOL! I think I cried because I was sorry I gagged. :giggle:

We are our own worst critics...................chalk it up!

Oh well, just found out top impressions are a no-go but I'm going in on Tuesday for bottom works... they will be redoing my top impressions while I'm OUT. PHEW!!

Back