• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

made it through my 1st appointment.

S

scaredscaredscared

Today was the day. it was a really positive experience. I'd had a couple of anxiety therapy sessions beforehand which I think really helped and the dentist was so lovely. When I went in I gave her a letter explaining that I was nervous and scared of being judged but that I wanted her help. We talked a bit and then she had a look and took a couple of x-rays. She said that my teeth need cleaning and that until that is done she can't say for certain what needs doing. She did say though that nothing was showing on the x-rays and that was good.

I am so lucky to have found someone so lovely and supportive. They told me that I had done really well and they were proud of me for making the appointment and coming.

I really think that she will help me to change my life. She said that the cleaning is likely to be unpleasant, but won't be painful. She showed me what she would be using and said that she will stop at anytime that I feel uncomfortable.

Thanks to robotguy for the therapist recommendation and to nannafish for the dentist recommendation.

I really didn't think I would be able to go through with it, I really thought that she was going to say they all needed to come out.

I am so pleased that you had a good experience and it sounds good that nothing bad is showing on the x-rays too.

Getting a good supportive dentist is so much part of the solution to being able to beat this phobia.

Way to go!:jump::jump:

Back