• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Mild pain/discomfort when chewing on filling... ?

E

E93

Hi

I've been delaying going to a dentist for the last couple of months cause i know i have a cavity on the same tooth i had a giant filling on and i'm scared it might end up as a root filling. I;ve been looking for an NHS dentist that takes patient but it's taking a while.

Now another tooth where i have a filling (smaller filling) has started to inconsistently hurting whenever i chew right on the filling (it's between molar 1 and 2). I can definitelly see some browning near the edge of the filling but it looks relatively minor and it could just be staining. The pain is mild at most and, even when chewing on that tooth, it only happens when i chew something fairly hard and it goes right on the filling. It started just a couple of days ago.

The area has two medium/small filling facing each other, basically both molar 1 and molar 2 have a filling in their intersection.

How much should I worry about this. I am currently panicking a bit. Does this need immediate emergency attention or can it wait for whenever i manage to get on an NHS dentist? Could it be just a loose filling? I am sort of panicking a bit about this...

Last edited:
I am scared cause I never had straight up tooth pain, so i'm really afraid this might be an infection or something, even if the pain is mild and not sharp. The filling itself on the tooth is fairly small and last time i got my mouth checked was about a year ago when i had to get yet another filling, and i assume it was fine then...

Any chance of a photo? Kind of hard to tell what's going on without any more information.

Any chance of a photo? Kind of hard to tell what's going on without any more information.
It hurts whenever I chew exactly between the two molars. And only if its something, crunchy or hard.

Attachments

• 20230511_182422.jpg
    20230511_182422.jpg
    895.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230511_182449.jpg
    20230511_182449.jpg
    950.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230511_182455.jpg
    20230511_182455.jpg
    905.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230509_183822.jpg
    20230509_183822.jpg
    843.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230509_130103.jpg
    20230509_130103.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230509_132037.jpg
    20230509_132037.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 27
Good photos!

The filling on your first molar looks a bit high, that would give you a twinge when you bit down on the high bit. Other than that, nothing looks terribly wrong, I'm afraid you need to get it looked at.

Completely understand your worry. I been to dentists like a 100 times the past 5 years because of some stuff complicated story.. I kinda became immune to the fear lol
You can just go and ask these exact questions, also say that you dont want it to be touched.. explain what you feel when biting down and then be can see on the xray if its too low or high or another issue..
Then at least you know and go back home and see what you do next..
Hope that helps
And just chew on the other side for now and dont eat hard things :)

@Gordon yeah, I had these fillings for 3 years so it's scary that this is happening now. Thanks for the look thought

Good photos!

The filling on your first molar looks a bit high, that would give you a twinge when you bit down on the high bit. Other than that, nothing looks terribly wrong, I'm afraid you need to get it looked at
Also how urgent is getting this checked out?
I'm still looking for an nhs doctor and i'm not sure how long will it take to find one...

Also how urgent is getting this checked out?
How sore is it? If it's just getting a bit of a bashing when you're chewing then it'll be fine for months.

@Gordon it's not sharp pain. I can eat on it if I really have to and if the food is not too crunchy. But its definitely noticeable and medium to mild pain depending on the angle at which I chew.

When I'm not chewing specifically on that tooth I have no pain at all.

When I chew soft is thing (like a white roll) I also have no pain.

I suppose what I meant to say was, if the pain isn't too terribly annoying, then it's fine to leave it till it's convenient for you to get it seen to.

I suppose what I meant to say was, if the pain isn't too terribly annoying, then it's fine to leave it till it's convenient for you to get it seen to.
thanks my main fear is if it is an infection/abscess, then bad things happen if left untreated right?

No, not really. Mostly the pain forces people to get treatment, but it isn't intrinsically dangerous to have an abscess.

No, not really. Mostly the pain forces people to get treatment, but it isn't intrinsically dangerous to have an abscess.
SO. I had my tooth checked finally, they did an xray and all... and they say it's fine?

I still get mild disconfort/pain on it, but only when i chew something very crunchy on it (like chips, for instance), admittedly the pain seems way less than when i made the post a month ago.

The dentist just recommended me to floss to make sure nothing gets stuck in there and cause pain when i'm eating... but like... i'm pretty sure that's not the cause of it. I know what it feels when something get stuck

Hey, I'm having the exact same problem. Got a filling on a back molar about 6 weeks ago and had horrible pain when chewing on it, even soft foods hurt. Got a bit better after about two weeks, went back to the dentist and said it looked fine too, shaved a bit of the filling but did nothing to help.

Now at about 6 weeks its about 80% better but like you I get a slight discomfort when eating something crunchy.

Not sure what do either really. It's a lot better than it was, but clearly not back to normal. I'm currently just waiting it out to see if it further improves.

Hey, I'm having the exact same problem. Got a filling on a back molar about 6 weeks ago and had horrible pain when chewing on it, even soft foods hurt. Got a bit better after about two weeks, went back to the dentist and said it looked fine too, shaved a bit of the filling but did nothing to help.

Now at about 6 weeks its about 80% better but like you I get a slight discomfort when eating something crunchy.

Not sure what do either really. It's a lot better than it was, but clearly not back to normal. I'm currently just waiting it out to see if it further improves.
I think mine is a vaguely different situations cause this filling was ok for years, and only has started hurting recently.

But i hope you can get your thing sorted.

Back